Thread: Sleeping positions

Question Sleeping positions

I'm 16 weeks pregnant and just wondering if its still safe to sleep on my back. I've tried sleeping on my side but my shoulder gets uncomfortable at times. Thanks for any feedback.

Hi, I am also 16w pg, but I cannot stand sleeping on my back.
    Probably because I am a bigger person.
    As far as sleeping on your back, I wouldn't really think twice about it at this stage. If it was comfortable, then I guess I would sleep no worries. If I was uncomfortable any time during my sleep, I guess I would wake up.
    Please correct me if I'm completely wrong about this anyone, as I do not really know myself.
    Good luck with the sleeping. I know I'm having trouble already!!
    Nicky

It is advisable to sleep on your left side, but I know I couldn't get to sleep in any other position than on my back. Towards the end, I would try my hardest to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs, but it is hard to do. I'm not sure though when it's suggested you stop sleeping on your back.

Trust me, you will know when it's time to change sleeping positions - and it might not be that far away for you! Make the most of sleeping on your back while you can.

I am a 'back sleeper' but have been unable to do so for about 4 weeks. Sleeping on my side is giving me all sorts of grief, and I often wake up on my back. The only way I can be remotely comfortable is by doing the good old pillow between the legs, and bringing it up under my belly to support it. Sometimes having a pillow behind me helps too. But gone are the days of sleeping through the night LOL!

They do say sleeping on your left side is best, but I think you will 'know' when that time has come. All of a sudden things just feel different.

Hi Emma27. I am a back sleeper and am now 37 weeks. Even if I wanted to I couldn't back sleep now, it is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too uncomfortable. If you are naturally a back sleeper you will probably find that, even if you force yourself to sleep on your side, that you will wake up on your back.
    I sleep on my side now with a pillow for my belly to rest on. My Husband tries to thieve it.
    I also sleep sort of on my back but with a pillow shoved under it so I'm sort of on a 45 degree angle. You might find that a good compromise.
    Just for the record, I was sleeping on my back at 16 weeks and beyond. Apparently there's an artery in your back you can squash but I never worried about it.

I was told not to sleep on your back after 12 or 13 weeks, blocking blood flow as lestypuss said. Bad for you and baby. But, i am generally a side sleeper anyway, so wasnt a huge prob for me. Lately thou, i have found myself waking up more on my back, and being more comfy this way.
    I did find cuddling a pillow helped me to stay on my side, or, i just sorta propped it under my right side, so i was sorta 1/2 on my back.
    I am far more comfy on my right side thou.

I can HIGHLY recommend a full body pillow!!! They're about 5ft long and help you support your back and tummy especially if you are trying to sleep on your side. I was a tummy sleeper but my achy boobs saw a quick end to that. The pillow is fab and is available from Target or online through ebay. I love mine-- DH calls it my "boyfriend" and punches it but I know he uses it when i'm not in bed with him!!!
    Hope xoxo

Hi, I too think that if your comfy it shouldn't be too much of an issue. You will know if your squishing that artery because you will get some pins and needles or numbnes.

Me I'm a tummy sleeper, and am finding it really hard not to sleep on my tummpy. but I wake up on my side, in the fetal position, so I'm going to find it hard when i get bigger. at least in the next few months it will get cooler and make it easier to sleep huggin pillows. I feel sorry for all the ladies trying to sleep now that are due soon.

I personally find it very uncomfy now to sleep on my back, so I sleep on my side with a pillow under my belly for a bit of support. I've also been told about not sleeping on my back because it can squash an artery.

Apparently it is not only your artery that circulation can be cut off to, but some circulation to the baby can also be affected because when you lie on your back, everything inside the womb sorta floats more to the back, and squishes bits that are not meant to be squished (very acurate terminology I am sure!). Don't forget you wouldn't be able to feel if there was some kind of circulation to the baby cut off. I don't sleep on my back even though at 20ish weeks that is all I want to do, I am so uncomfortable on my side, I am normally a tummy sleeper

Let's face it. It gets to the point if you're lucky you can sleep at all...............

Sleeping on your back can reduce or even cut off the blood supply to your baby. This depends on how big and heavy your tummy is. It is only a problem if you lie flat on your back. If you are concerned and find it difficult not to sleep on your back then try putting a pillow under one bum cheek, that should stop you from being flat on your back. As others have said, soon it will be too uncomfortable to sleep on your back

Fire Fly Guest

I nearly 20wks and still find sleeping on my back more comfy atm. I know its not the best position but i go where im comfy. I remember with the other 2 that later down the track it was to much pressure. This bub isnt huge so i guess im lucky to be able to still get away with it. Cant believe im nearly half way.