Thread: Sleeping on tummy

Default Sleeping on tummy

When is it time to stop sleeping on your tummy when you are pregnant?

I am 14 weeks now, and have been trying to 'train' myself to sleep on my left side in preparation for later on. However, I am having really restless nights as I am use to sleeping on my tummy. Does any one know whether I still can sleep on my tummy and when I should stop?

Thanks

Hi Alison,

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think it's ok as long as you are comfortable(somebody please correct me if I'm wrong) I'm almost 18 weeks and still comfortable sleeping on my tummy most of the time. The nights I'm not, I just hug a pillow or cushion and that seems to do the trick.

I've heard the body pillows are excellent for helping you sleep as well - maybe you could check them out

Hope you get a good nights sleep soon

Bel

Hi Alison
    Sleeping on your tummy is OK as long as you are comfortable.
    I would expect that tummy sleeping will become too uncomfortable in a month or so.

Alan (Midwife)

Hi Tulip
    I can't think of any reason why you should not sleep on your tummy.
    Usually at around 20 weeks or so ( depending ou your size) tummy sleeping becomes too uncomfortable.
    The pool swim ring that yiur mum used was probably for her comfort.

Alan (Midwife)

I'm kinda 1/2 on my side and 1/2 on my tummy at this stage. DH is my body pillow! He's nice & comfy

I asked my OB the other day about sleeping on my back coz that was the only position I had heard bad things about.. he said it -can- lower your blood pressure, but you'll soon change position out of discomfort, and if bubs is uncomfy they'll let you know too. I'm still finding myself sleeping on my back with no probs.

It's probably as you get bigger that you have to worry more about finding comfy positions.

Ivana_baby

Sleeping on your back can reduce or even stop the blood supply to your baby.
    It is never reccomended that you sleep on your back.

Alan (Midwife)

Im 21 weeks and i dont find any position comfy for more than a few hours... its quite bad at the moment.... i just toss and turn all night and im not even sure why..... I can get comfy on my back but that scares me too much as its bad for bubs so i dont do it... and when im on my side, i can find that i half roll onto my tummy which makes me feel bad- thoughts of squashing bubs!

I try using a pillow but what am i ment to do with it? Someone said something about putting it between your knees?????

Also, my tummy muscles hurt a bit with all this tossing and turning... they are already tender!! Sleeping is a pain... i spose its just going to get worse!!

Hi Emz
    Sorry but yes things may get worse.
    A pillow can be useful. You can try putting it between your knees. You could use it to help support your tummy. Basically put it anywhere that helps you feel more comfortable. Different things work for different people.
    You need to find what works for you.

Alan (Midwife)

Thanks for the replies. Ithink I will go back to sleeping in whatever position is comfy, otherwise I am depriving myself of sleep. I''ll change once it is not comfy anymore, as long as I am not going to do any harm to bubs.

froofy Guest

When I hit around 4 mths (last preg), I would wake up with a full bladder I couldn't empty, one morning I had to even take the day off work! I was in so much pain I could barely walk. The doctor and I worked out it was because I have a retroverted uterus, and that it only happened when I slept on my tummy. Once I stopped sleeping that way, the problem went away

mysterygirl Guest

i am struggling already to sleep on my belly due to sore breasts - i have been sleeping terribly because i can't get comfortable - i have a lot to look forward to!!...

I too have heard its fine to sleep on belly if its still comfy- froofy thankfully i think that your example is thankfully a rare occurance...

Im 37 weeks and still either sleep half on my tummy, or on my back. THis is not by choice, it's how I wake up!! Im more comfortable on my tummy though. I think your body will tell you what's best for you xox

Alan - it was all over the news at one stage about the blood supply to the baby when lying on your back, that's why I asked my OB. He said it's very unlikely you'll harm your baby, because you'll experience the discomfort and move due to the lowered blood pressure. He answered me as if he's had to clarify this for all his patients coz they all asked him. hehe.

I also don't deliberately sleep on my back, but I find I'm waking up on my back. Perhaps I keep waking in order to change position? Anyway he said it's only of concern once your bigger. I guess there's more weight/pressure then.