Thread: soft markers present at 20 week scan

Mummahol Guest

Default soft markers present at 20 week scan

Hi, has anyone had their 20 week scan and been told that the baby has cysts in the brain. There called something, something, plexus cysts. I can't remember the correct name/term as i was only old yesterday and went into total shock, as the OB was saying that they can be linked to Downs. This is my second pregnancy and am in a total state of panic as it is without adding this issue as well. I have to wait another 2 weeks before I can have a tertiary scan so I'm just beside myself. My 12 week scan gave me a low risk result being 1:17000. Is anyone else in my boat????
    Mummahol

Yes oh my god I was told yesterday as well. But I wasn't told it can be linked with downs, I was told that they usualy go in the third trimester and that it was nothing to worry about. I have read up about it and I haven't heard anything bad

Mummahol Guest

oh ok, well I don't know what to believe now. I guess its just a waiting game till I have my scan. Do you have to have a tertiary scan at all???

I'm only going in for a second scan as bubs was laying on the placenta and they couldn't get a good pic of her heart but I think and hope they look at her brain to see if it has shrunk. I read that the cyst is a pool of fluid that is trapped but as the brain grows the fluid disperses through the tubes of the brain and thats how they dissapear after doing a bit of reading I've found they are quite common sometimes they don't go until after birth. I know hearing the word CYST is really scary and you usually think the worse but i'm trying to stay positive

Mummahol Guest

I know, I too am trying, it just totally freaked me out. Obviously this is more common than what I was thinking. Sorry if I upset you in anyway. Good Luck with everything xxx

No you haven't upset me sorry if it sounded that way. I had never heard of it till yesterday I was freaked out as well I hope everything turns out well for you your results for the 12 weeks scan are really good I never had one done as the stupid doctor didn't think I was a high risk I will be really PO'D if something is wrong and could have been picked up in the 12 week u/s

Hi there,
    you must be really worried but My girlfriend went through the same thing. Her bub was said to have a choriod plexus cyst. It sorted itself out, dissolving in the third trimester. Her bub is now five and a perfectly healthy child.

Try not to worry too much (easier said than done I know). For what it is worth there is a school of thought that believe choroid plexus cysts at this stage are just a variation of normal and we are ony picking them up more now because of better scanning techniques. Many many bubs have them at this stage. It is only if the cysts do not resolve inthe third trimester or if there are other markers of abnormality that they then are more of an issue. A friend went through a couple of weeks of panic just like you recently until she found this out.

I so understand your anxiety ....

U/s with DS I had a new technician - great - they saw a couple of bubbles in brain - fluid sacs - and told me soft markers for Edwards Syndrome = baby doesn't usually live very long and deformities. She shouldn't have said ANYTHING cos there were no other signs such as club foot, mouth probs or other organ signs - they recommended the triple screening back then (6 years nearly) - and results came back 1/14000 etc - and he is perfectly healthy. Outcome was normal fluid pockets that layers of skin usually grow over for push fluid out - no big deal!!!! Yeah, easy to say but they weren't waiting for those results for 10 days wiht my hubby overseas too.

Hence, I have been anxious about u/s ever since

Good luck to you, I am sure all will be fine.

Mummahol Guest

Thank you to everyone for your reassurance. I'm having my tertiary scan on the 4th of April to get a second oppion. There was no other markers or structurial abnormalities to point to anything majorly wrong, but of course sonographers aren't always right, are they?! I do feel heaps better that this is not something uncommon and wish everyone all the best.xxx

We had choroid plexus cysts with baby number 2. I was sooooo freaked out and actually afterwards totally angry. With technology these days, they can see far more than they used to. They are not even sure but it's possible all babys have these cysts and they just disappear early. by week 25 Coco's cysts had gone.
    They can be a sign of Trisomy 13 but only if there are other markers present. They are not dangerous on their own and actually very common. I know it's hard not to worry, but if you are concerned, get another u/s at about 26 weeks, not too early though or they may still be showing.
    I also spent alot of time on a choroid plexus chat room. It was American, but I found it a great help. Sorry can't remember the address but I just googled it. xoxox

Mummahol Guest

Hi all,
    Had my 24 week scan and guess what???? There were no cysts present or any other problems!!!! I was so stressed out for nothing. Thanks to everyone who gave me positive reassurance. Holxxx

congrats for the great result chicky gives me hope