Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Advice Please (15 weeks, first baby)

Default Some Advice Please (15 weeks, first baby)

hi there
    im fifteen weeks now, so officially in the second trimester... i have left all the nausea and tiredness behind, thank god!! i do have a few new ailments though, and wondered if this is 'normal' or if anyone had any advice...

Firstly, I need to pee all the time.... My blood tests showed no UTI, and I am peeing normal amounts, but it just seems i always need to go, 100 times worse than in the first trimester...

Also, I am getting headaches nearly every day, in the afternoon, i'm eating regularly and drinking etc, but no matter what i do i get a headache around the same time each day... does anyone else get headaches? I was never a particularly over headachey person before..

And lastly, I haven't put on ANY weight... none whatsoever... I can see my tummy is slightly bigger, but when on the scales I am the same weight I was before... Is this normal?

Hope I haven't sounded too whingy!! Would love to hear some advice or your thoughts. Thanks
    Em

Hi Emma, i too had headaches throughout my second trimester, but they did go away,only the occasional one now, i didnt put on weight until after 16 weeks, all up put on 8 during second trimester and only 1.5 since 27 weeks, it will happen, just remember everyone is different and put on different amounts at different times, good luck!!

the peeing is normal too. I had it and I am sorry to say it, I still pee more often. Fingers crossed it leaves you alone once u have the bubs!

thanks guys!!
    its all so foreign when its your first, i have no idea sometimes!!
    thanks again.

mum5boys Guest

Hi Emma, I am 15 wks tomorrow and I seem to get a lot of headaches usually starting in the afternoon but that could be spending the whole day with 5 children. lol

In previous pg I used to get a lot of headaches especially in the 2nd tri, I don't know why just one of those things.I just wait till DH gets home,take a panadeine and then I go to bed in a dark room,which usually helps.

As for the weight I wouldn't worry too much as everyone's pg are different and so is the amount everyone puts on.
    I have actually lost weight since being pg because of m/s and having a chest infection and not being well. My tummy is getting bigger though so I am not to concerned and I am feeling pretty good.

Take care
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Emma1979 View Post
    Firstly, I need to pee all the time.... My blood tests showed no UTI, and I am peeing normal amounts, but it just seems i always need to go, 100 times worse than in the first trimester...
    This is exactly how I have been... I was bad in the first trimester, but 10x worse in second. I guess it is just that the baby is getting bigger now and putting some pressure on the bladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma1979 View Post
    And lastly, I haven't put on ANY weight... none whatsoever... I can see my tummy is slightly bigger, but when on the scales I am the same weight I was before... Is this normal?
    I actually lost 8kgs in the first trimester. I found that out at 13 weeks when I had to be weighed for my NT scan bloods. I never weigh myself, and I have only been weighed twice during this pregnancy. The first time was at my initial consultation (6 weeks) the second was at 13 weeks as mentioned.
    Because the midwives don't place alot of importance on it, I don't feel like I should. Ultrasounds have shown that the baby is growing just how it should be, and my fundal height is normal.

Rest assured that what you're going through is fairly normal stuff. I am sorry that I can't help you in regards to the headaches, but, I have certainly had my share of them too. If you are worried about anything... ask your ob/gp/midwife... but, I think that everything seems to be normal pregnancy symptoms
    HTH
    Lisa

Sounds very familiar! I had no M/S and put on no weight until just recently; usually women with M/S lose weight, so when they put it on it's just getting back to "normal". As for my bladder, I hate that - I really hate the "bladder dance" if someone is using our one loo at work (I share a loo with 5 consultants, 5 other PAs and about 20 other doctors). I've put on about 3kg in the last 6 weeks though, so you'll start shooting up soon enough! Many girls don't gain any weight - you didn't say how big you were to start with, but I was "tiny" at the beginning and DH was very worried about my lack of weight gain at 3m, let alone now!

Headaches are not bad, nor is occasional blurred vision - this is your pituitary gland growing as it tells the body to get ready to lactate (produce milk). If you had a brain scan it would show that it has grown quite a bit, but because your head doesn't grow with it then it starts pressing on various bits of the brain and the optic chiasm, so your vision may get a bit worse. The headaches will go away once the brain is used to what's going on and your gland will shrink back to "normal" once your baby is weaned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryn View Post
    Headaches are not bad, nor is occasional blurred vision - this is your pituitary gland growing as it tells the body to get ready to lactate (produce milk). If you had a brain scan it would show that it has grown quite a bit, but because your head doesn't grow with it then it starts pressing on various bits of the brain and the optic chiasm, so your vision may get a bit worse. The headaches will go away once the brain is used to what's going on and your gland will shrink back to "normal" once your baby is weaned.
    Wow, never knew that!!

I get headaches too and don't think I've put on any weight although I do have a bit of a belly now. I don't normally weigh myself, but I'm almost certain that I lost some weight as I am still under what I remember being the last time I weighed myself which had been a long long time before. Not sure if I lost it before pg or with m/s and not feeling like eating too much.

hey, thanks for the info ryn! I've been getting headaches every afternoon too so good to know it's normal (although annoying!).

That's OK girls, I'm just happy to help! Plus I have an insatiable urge to pass on all my scientific learning, you'll have to put up with it for another 18m or so before I start teaching!

I too am having headaches, which is really quite annoying as I have just gotten over the morning sickness! I also spend a LOT of time in the toilet, but I thought it was because I have been drinkning so much water to avoid getting the headaches.

I have only put on about 1 kg so far, which I am pleased about. I out on 12 with Jas, so I am hoping for about the same with this one.

You sound pretty normal to me!

Jo

Hi,
    I too was getting headaches, and i just tried to rest as much as possible. I have found that i do go to the toilet alot more than usual this last couple of weeks, although i can feel when bubba pushes on my bladder. So it is norm. Also i had put on 4.5kg so far during my preg, but due to not feeling the best (faintness, tiredness etc) I have actually lost 2.5kgs. But if your belly is growing dont stress too much.

Hi
    I've been getting headaches as well and am sure hormones have some part to play in that but the main thing causing my headaches (which are over the top of my head like a wide maryjane band) is tight shoulder and neck muscles which at about 15 weeks started to get tighter and tighter as my body adjusts to the new lump. I hadn't worked this out until my naturopath pointed it out and said that the neck and shoulders are taking a lot more strain in pregnancy. I've taken to wearing a heated and neck shaped wheat bag around my neck every morning until the ache goes away. I'm also doing gentle neck stretches. This seems to be helping my headaches.

Another possible cause for headaches is an increased blood volume. It increases by half in the 2nd trimester. I could hear my pulse some days.

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Sorry to hear that your suffering all the normal pregnancy things! The peeing gets worse (belive me) and the headaches (for me) got better in the 3rd trimester.. The one thing that really helped with headaches is a massage - just those $15 for 10 mins that you see in the streets/mall - worked a treat (or get hubby/partner/friend to do it). Hope you have a happy pregnancy. It is ALL worth it!

Massage worked for me too as well as heat bags on my neck, shoulders and down into my back. I also had to change my pillow arrangement around that time as my body had changed already. Peppermint tea also helped. All normal but still makes you feel [email protected]#ppy!

Yeah Blackbird is right - changing your pillow was a must for me too!
    blackbird.

Hi Emma!

Headaches are unfortunately a symptom of the 2nd trimester. I suffered them bad when pg with DS and get a lot of them again now. I find that drinking HEAPS of water helps (only water too). I have also found I have a weaker bladder this trimester. Isn't it all so much fun!! Oh and about the weight thing, I have only put on 1-2kg's and my friend who is due at the same time as me has actually lost a very small amount, but all babies are just fine. Pregnancy is a wonderfully strange experience for our bodies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast