Thread: Sore Ribs

Default Sore Ribs

I read in the 2nd tri symptoms that sore ribs on the right hand side is mentioned. Well I have this and it is driving me nuts. Does anyone have this? or know why it happens? or have any good ways to relieve the pain?
    I understand that as the baby gets bigger and pushes everything up that things don't fit comfortably in my belly anymore, but I am not that big (YET!) so I would have expected this to be a later symptom. Oddly it is in the same spot on my front and back rib region, but is not a pain that goes "through" from front to back.
    Any suggestions would be great
    Thanks.

Hi Bok
    Your body is going through some massive and increasable changes at the moment. You will start to get pain in places that you did not know that you had. Some of this pain will be related to the position of the baby and the baby’s movements. Emma is right when she talks about relaxin. This is a hormone that causes all your joints and ligaments to relax in preparation for birth. The problem with this is that when you joints and ligaments relax it causes pain, and for some women this pain can be extremely uncomfortable.

stretch Guest

Hi Bok, i had really sore ribs at about 13-16 weeks, before i started putting on weight, but it got better. Now at 23 weeks my ribs are sore again, but it is most uncomfortable if I'm lying down, and I think it's related to the weight of the bump. I've heard about special body pillows and wedge shaped pillows to prop up the bump, so if you think it could be weight related, that might help. Good luck!

Hi Bok,
    is the pain there all the time, or is it mainly after you eat dinner,,,,does it hurt to breath when it happens, and make you feel sick??
    The reason i ask, is that is sounds like the pain i got when my gallstones were acting up whilst pregnant. It got so severe after I had DS3, I had to have my gallbladder removed.

Apart form that, I agree with Alan, those hormones can do some pretty amazing things to our bodies, and we do tend to get funny aches and pains all over at times. If you are at all worried, dont hesitate to see your doctor, or midwife hun, i hope it eases soon for you.
    Oh, Emma, One of the things my last DS loved to do, was wegdge his foot under my boob when i was sitting down, and then kick it, making my boob jump up and down. Quite embaressing when u are waiting at the antenatal clinic with like about 20 other mums hehe

sometimes when i get the pain real bad i get DH to massage the area, it makes it feel a little better
    i didn't think it would start as early either i think about 14 weeks and especially when i've eaten

Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Aussie View Post
    Hi Bok,
    is the pain there all the time, or is it mainly after you eat dinner,,,,does it hurt to breath when it happens, and make you feel sick??
    The reason i ask, is that is sounds like the pain i got when my gallstones were acting up whilst pregnant. It got so severe after I had DS3, I had to have my gallbladder removed.
    Ewww... this happened to me, 4 weeks after having Madeleine. It was happening through the pregnancy, but I put it down to the baby being under my ribs. When I had my first real attack... I thought at first I was in labour again !!! It was awful.

Nah, my pain is on my right side. Isn't gall bladder pain on the left? It mainly happens after a long day at work at my desk. At this stage I put it down to everthing squashing up and my poor posture while I am at the computer. Funnily enough I hardly notice it when I am not at work! I think the only cure would be to quit work now - as if that can happen

Bok - I got pain in my ribs from 20 weeks - all the way thru - everytime i went for ans U/S charlie was right up under my ribs - maybe your baby is just pushing up high

Bok, your gallbladder and liver are on your right hand side.
    To know if it is your gallbladder, when u have the pain, lie down, and just gently push under your ribs,,,,,,if it is the gallbladder,,, you WILL know, as the pain will nealry lift you off the bed.
    Sounds though like your poor body is as you said, just suffering from being in a chair all day
    I really hope that you can alleviate the pain hun, but still keep your job as long as you wish to.

oh my god this is bizarre, i have been getting sore ribs on the right hand side for the past few nights, but quite high up, almost where a bra strap would sit, so not close to the tummy at all.... i get it at night when i am on the couch watching tele after dinner i think.... i am only 16 weeks and its really high up, so i can't see how the baby would be pushing up to cause it... probably due to the muscles relaxing, but interesting to hear that other people get this too!!