Thread: SPD - how early did it start for you...?

Default SPD - how early did it start for you...?

Hi ladies

Well I'm at 17 weeks and I've started having what I imagine is quite distinctive pain in my groin area, it sort of radiates down my inside leg. It is worse when I've been sitting for a long time, after driving for a long time (my car is manual and I have to lift one leg for the clutch) and also sometimes when I get up in the morning.

I'm thinking this might be the very beginning of Symphasis Pubis Dysfunction (sp?) and am keen to 'head it off at the pass'. If it's like this now, I can only imagine what I'll be like at 37 weeks!

I'm just wondering - is it too early for this to start, or should I get myself to the physio as fast as I can? Interested in your experiences...

Mine started around 12 weeks the second time (which I know it can be earlier second time around) so it definitely isn't too early. If you go see a Dr/Phsyio they'll be able to diagnose you more clearly, if it is SPD it is better to be doing all the right things now in hopes it won't get too bad in a way to prevent irritating it further.

Goodluck!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Damn! I was hoping you'd say it only starts after 20 weeks so it's a figment of my imagination! Uh-oh, but like you say, best to get onto it early on!

How do they diagnose, is is just based on your description or do they poke around at it?

They poke around a bit, I couldn't stand both times on onset so thats how I knew. I had to be taped up when I first got it with Seth and was on strict bedrest till it settled down which took about a week after that I wore a brace intermittently. And did everything I could to minimise flare ups. It still hurt on a daily basis but things I did (or didn't do) helped. It also depends on where the pain is and if there is any sharp pains or clicking. It could just be relaxin setting in. Often when the relaxin becomes noticeable it can cause discomfort and SPD is said to be the blame when its just normal pregnancy stretching. But if you do have SPD as I say its better to get checked out now and start looking after yourself properly etc. Things I would recommend are when getting dressed sit down where possible never lean on one leg, try and keep your weight even on your feet and when getting out of bed, in or out of the car try and keep your legs together so sit down first if getting in or swing your legs out if your trying to get out. Separating your legs and putting uneven pressure on the pelvis can cause alot of pain and cause flare ups. From memory walking is worse than driving (believe it or not), stairs are the absolute worst thing so if you can avoid them, and depending on the position (TMI LOL) sex can be bad for it too. The main thing is to try and remember to keep your hips and feet in symmetry and you should be ok. Oh and NO vacuuming (damn right? LOL).

Goodluck I hope its just relaxin... but if not SPD is manageable And bubs is worth it

*hugs*
    Cailin

Thanks Cailin, you are a fountain of information!

It sounds like your onset of symptoms was much worse than I'm experiencing but I am worried that my extra weight will aggravate it over the next couple of months. Definitely no clicking noises here! *phew* But I will be careful and see the physio so I'm doing all the right things anyway.

Hi Marydean,

Mine started around week 24/25. I don't think mine is worst case scenario which I am tapping wood for! Its just really uncomfortable when I first get up from sitting down or sleeping.

My midwife said yesterday there is nothing that can be done So just have to live with it. But I am looking at it as if this is all I have got from being pg then I am happy as I didn't have m/s or anything.

I hope the pain eases for you from time to time. I didn't have it at all on Sunday night (I did go swimming and a little walk that day).

Floss xx

I had it in the last 5 weeks of my 2nd PG, but it wasn't diagnosed. I know what the pain was after having it during my 3rd PG.
    For my 3rd PG I had it come at about 20 weeks. It got really bad for bit then it kind of got a bit better for a couple of months. By the end of my PG it was bad again. I could barely walk in the morning and one I felt that front joint clunk after a few mins of hobbling it was reasonable for the rest of the day.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one that has this problem. I thought I was going insane. I click all the time and by the end of the day I start with the sharp pains. Im almost 18 weeks and Ive also got the extra weight problem as well. I was so worried as to how I was going to explain this to my doctor because I had no idea that this exsisted and also didnt know how to explain to him where the clicking was coming from (its a really weird feeling I find). Thanks for sharing this topic.

Mine started around 21 weeks, after standing all day at an engagement party. My pelvis clicks and clunks, and is painful most of the time - walking, stairs, anything on one leg, and particularly rolling over in bed. My husband (a physio) bought me a brace and with that on I can do more things like go for a walk, gardening etc etc. Doesn't get rid of the pain completely, but at least allows me to do normal things.

OK, I'm going to the physio today to get this checked out. I'm not clicking at all yet but the groin pain is getting stronger (some days I feel like my insides are getting ready to fall out). Plus my waddle is getting worse. It's embarrassing as my colleague who is 38 weeks pg finished work last week and I'm practically waddling like she was in her last week!!

Which makes shopping a bit of a pain *sigh* as it's one of my fave activities! Well the shopping's ok, I just need a servant to walk three paces behind me carrying all the parcels LOL.

Ok, saw the physio today, still need the servant walking behind me to carry my parcels!

Well yes my pelvis is quite unstable but in a balanced fashion (which apparently is a good thing). She has given me some exercises to do to deal with the back ache I'm getting from tight hip/buttock muscles and a loooooooong list of dos & donts and I have to go back in a couple of weeks for more of the same.

Hopefully this means I'll have nipped it in the bud. Fortunately - still no clicking