Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stretch Mark Prevention

Default Stretch Mark Prevention

Hi All

Am thinking about using some kind of cream to help prevent stretch marks. I was looking at the Bio Oil one but it said it contains Vitamin A, I thought Vit A was a no no in pregnancy?
    Anyway, just wondering what you ladies are using and if you can recommend a product.

Thanks

Julia

I can't recommend a procuct, but anything that keeps your skin from getting dry will do. The most important thing is not to scratch your tummy as the skin gets itchy as it stretches

keeping moisturised in and out is important... lotsa water...
    like Natalie said anything that keeps you from drying out works...
    morning and night... any baby oil is great.... body butters....

i use the palmers coca butter stretch mark cream. To be honest tho i don't know how good any of those products really are. Stretch marks fade over time, i could hardly notice mine after a few months of Mya being born.
    As the other ladies said anything that keeps ur tum tum from drying out.
    I didn't know about not scratching it tho Natalie,mine is starting to get so itchy!

Julia, I used Palmers cocoa butter from the minute I found out I was pregnant and used it every day (sometimes twice a day) and I still got stretch marks!!! I was so disappointed. With #2, I didn't get anymore thankfully, what I have is enough. Some say they are hereditary, so check with your mum if she got them. I hope you can stay stretch mark free!!!

I'd agree they are hereditary, I'm preg with my 3rd & the heaviest of my family (my sisters are blessed with my Mum's side of the family jeans)
    Mum never got a stretch mark, neither sisters have stretch marks & other than my thighs verry thin & feint (Overweight more than preg!) I dont have any stretch marks!!!!

I put moisturiser on when I remembered which was most nights after my bath/shower & it was just any old moisturiser that was there at the time!!!

Yeah i think it's hereditary too. My mum got a few faint ones and my sister didn't get any. I did use Palmers Cocoa butter religiously in my 1st preg and didn't get any stretch marks. I only apply it a couple of times a week in this preg - so far so good - but it's still early. I've heard that it has as much to do with blood circulation to the skin from the rubbing as it does with the moisture/oils from the creams.

I use body shop cocoa butter and boots botanics firming gel when I remember - hmm, haven't done it for a few nights, should do it again tonight. I have no marks on chest or belly, but a couple on my thighs as I didn't realise I had to do them too. Oddly enough, my thighs/backside hasn't grown at all, just my stomach.

My doctor said that some women will get stretchmarks, and some will not, and there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Moisturizers are nice, and I'm sure they're good for your skin, but they won't really prevent stretchies, unfortunately. My whole stomach is covered with them. :frown:
    Last edited by Cricket; December 14th, 2006 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typo

I used Bio-oil and got quite a few stretch marks (at about 19 weeks) - nasty dark red ones, then I switched to Jurlique Hops Lotion and Macadamia oil (macadamia over the hops lotion) and they all went away within 2 weeks. I haven't seen even a hint of a stretch mark since. I love the Hops Lotion although it really stinks! I was willing to ignore the smell because it worked!

I've been using the Palmer's one (when I remember) and have unfortunately developed some very dark red (almost purple) marks on my belly. Grrrr!

im only small and got stretch marks very early on.

i was doing all the right things - eating well, excersicing and moistorising.

my mum said they are notorious on my dads side of the family - so yeah i was bound to get them.

ill be ok with them once they fade.

I haven't got any yet, and to be honest they don't worry me - I have scars on my breasts from the breast reduction so skin marks? naw

But having said that, I do find my tummy feels "taught" and the skin "tight" so I get DP to rub in moisturiser at night before bed - I want him to feel the contact with the bub and stuff. I'm just using Sorbelene (but I don't have any marks!)

JulieD,

For my first pregnancy, by the time I was 10 weeks, my breasts looked liked I'd been attached by a tiger, the stretch marks were so bad!

I have fair skin and get marks very easily, but my mother never did (sister does though).

Later in the pregnancy I also got them on my hips, thighs and down the back of my legs all the way to the back of my knees, very upsetting!

I used the butter oil/cream from Body Shop and it did nothing.

I am currently using the Bio Oil this time round, and it's FANTASTIC! It fades any marks you currently have and stops the others from starting, or they aren't as dark anyway.

I have no new marks on my breasts, and some darkening up from the first pregnancy on my hips, but they are minute. I didn't personally know it had vitamin A in it, but it does say that you can use this in pregnancy and gives directions. In Australia you shouldn't take vitamin A (that's why Elevit in Oz is different than US), but in creams/oils I think it's OK??

I'll try and remember to ask my Obs tomorrow morning when I next see him and post if it's not OK.

i also take zinc tablets as they are safe to use and are really good for your skin...

The 2 things i used during my pregnancy was Johnsons Moisturising Body Wash (pump pack) and a stretch mark cream called Happy Event.Not sure if they helped but i never got a stretch mark.

Julie D!

I spoke with my Dr and he said that Bio Oil is fine to use during pregnancy, but he doesn't believe anything helps stretch marks!

I said that I felt it was helping me this time around, so I would go for it if I was you.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Apparently it's just a case of if you're gonna get them you're gonna get them, not much can be done about it. Some people get them and some don't, lucky ones who don't

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast