Thread: SUMMER PREGNANCY!!!

Default SUMMER PREGNANCY!!!

Just wondering for those that have been through a summer pregnancy, HOW DID YOU COPE WITH THE HEAT?????????

We do have aircon, but I was just wondering what else you did to stay cool? I don't want to crank up the electricity bill just yet..........BUT then I may have to!

Thanks

Hi Nadine,

I was pregnant through summer with dd and actually didn't mind it too much and we didn't have a/c or anything. I just wore cool clothes and ate a lot of ice and icypoles!

Another suggestion would be to spend a bit of time at your local pool, or the beach if you're so inclined.

I'll be pregnant through summer this time around again, so it'll be interesting to see how I go this time, it's supposed to be one of the hottest summers ever this year!

Good luck

Bel

Thanks Bel Just our luck that it is meant to be the hottest summer, hey!!!!!!

I was full term during summer and i'd have to say if i could i would of died lol. I didn't handle it very well. Mostly eat ice and sat in the air con. Thank god this baby is a winter one lol

I keep remembering all these things that I used to do....

COLD SHOWERS! I'd have 2 or 3 cold showers in a day and just stay slightly damp to keep cool...it was a life saver!

Another suggestion - if you're able, cruise the shops, or find a nice cafe to sit in that's cool - that way you're not stuck at home and it's not YOUR a/c that's running up the power bill!!

I wish I was going to be pregnant through the summer. Im really not looking forward to having a baby right as it hits. We have no air con, so HOPEFULLY we'll get some before baby comes otherwise I do not know how on earth we'd cope.
    I say rest lots, lots of icy poles, cool baths and air con!!! xo

kerry Guest

No real expert here on Summer pg although i will be full term come the end of January however here are some tips from a Melbourne girl who moved to Darwin in the middle of a horribly hot wet season....

1. Put things in the freezer....
    a.. undies (omg this feels so good)
    b.. your (slightly dampened) nightie
    c.. your top sheet or a sarong(if sarong dampen it first, sheets are just too big)...
    Chuck them on just before bed and you will be nice and cool when you first go to bed, pop off to sleep and at least get a few good hours, then just repeat it.

2. Drink heaps and heaps of water... stuff the repeated trips to the loo... dehydration can bring on early labour and feel yuck.

3. Cool showers, not cold, its actually more cooling to have a slightly warm shower than an ice cold no hot water shower... I had 2 last night... then chuck your pj's nightie on while still damp... actually keeps you a bit cooler.

4. Ice water foot soak... heaps of ice and water in a flat bucket your feet fit in and just sit there.

5. cold 9as in out of the fridge) t-bags on your eyes.... dunno how this works but it always cooled me down.

Hope some of these help... it was the only way I slept the first 2 months in Darwin.

angel_eyes Guest

I've been wondering the same lately after the last couple of days in Melbourne.

Thank goodnessfor airconditioning that's all I can say.

Lee-Ann Guest

Thank goodness this pregnancy will be over by the time the real heat hits. I've had 2 pg during the summer months and it was awful, my feet use to swell up quite badly. I had the aircon on all the time and went swimming a lot. I also use to frequent the library. I've finally had a pregnancy where I've had no real swelling, it's wonderful!

I was pg during summer as well, but thankfully not full-term pg (was due in May)
    It was the worst summer ever though, and we had many days that were over 40degrees!
    I felt like dying on many occasions, and moaned and groaned about it nearly every day I think. 8-[
    We didn't have aircon either, so what I did before bed, and before any naps was to jump in a cold shower, then go and lie down on a towel on my bed in front of the fan - letting the fan dry me off.
    I also frequented the shops and the library a fair bit for the aircon...
    I'm actually surprised that I survived it to be honest, cause I certainly didn't think I would!

I was PG during the summer too...and I would sit with my feet in a kiddie pool & drink lots of cold water. I also would sit under a fan with a cold washer on my belly LOL!

jaggard Guest

I think having a baby in March like I did with DS was one of the worst times as I was pregnant the WHOLE of summer and where I live it got to 43 degs some days which nearly finshed me off.

What did I do:

Yelled at my DH to fill up the ice cube tray as everytime I went to get a cool drink there was one cube left... Grrrr,

Went to the pool alot, was nice paddling about

Cool showers

I sat in front of the air con a lot of the day.

I used to fill up a little wading pool and let my DD splash about and I just soaked my feet in the water while I watched her. Having cool feet seemed to do the trick for me.

Wore thongs.

Drank heaps of water, I always have though.

I've had one summer baby and one Winter, Winter was definately the most comfortable until you had bubs and had to get up in the freezing cold to b/f. Look at the positives, at least you won't freeze when you get up during the night to feed bubs.

chriscoop Guest

Hi everyone. I'am due in May 2006. But carrying twins and I was also wondering how I was going to cope through the hot summer days.

It was terrible on Tuesday and Wednesday and I was finally happy when in rained on Thursday morning . We are thinking of buying an a/c too. For the moment we just use the fan. I think that I am going to be at the pool and the shops a lot this summer.

Talk to you soon
    Chris

chriscoop Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chriscoop
    Hi everyone. I'am due in May 2006. But carrying twins and I was also wondering how I was going to cope through the hot summer days.

It was terrible on Tuesday and Wednesday and I was finally happy when in rained on Thursday morning . We are thinking of buying an a/c too. For the moment we just use the fan. I think that I am going to be at the pool and the shops a lot this summer.

Talk to you soon
    Chris

Move to Antartica failing that move to Tassie! with be It is still hot but it is a different kind of heat it is not overly hot a nights so you can actually sleeps and the days are hot but the humidity isn't really there like on the mainland