Thread: Swelling of hands/wrists

Default Swelling of hands/wrists

HI,

Over the past week or so I have noticed that my fingers are starting to swell to the point where I need to take my rings off. Today I needed to use soap to get one off cause my finger was so swollen. I've also noticed that my wrist is swelling too cause my watch starts to dig in to me.

Is it normal to get swelling at 23wks? I have read that it can be a warning sign for PE. My last checkup was 4 weeks ago so I am due for another this week and at my last check up everything was a-ok, can something like this change quickly? And what can be done to help minimise the swelling??

Ta

The first thing everyone says to me when i begin to swell is your not drinking enough water. Could that be part of it?

How are you feeling Blood pressure wise? Any stars or light headedness...

If they don't go down I would definitely be bringing forward your appointment with the doctor, just to ensure all is ruled out.

Pre-Eclampsia can come on pretty quickly, but its good anyhow to get this checked out asap.

Hope others can relate to and maybe give you some ideas?

I didnt drink much today while I was out for most of the day, so it could be the case. I try and drink heaps and heaps of water but when I get busy I just forget.

Blood pressure was fine and I dont have any light headedness or seeing stars.

I do get the occassional blood nose. Like not a full on blood nose but when I blow my nose there is a little.

Try to take it easy on the salt and drink plenty of water. I started to get pretty swollen but mine started around 35 weeks so I guess it's different in my case.

I took my rings off early in my pg and I don't have pre-eclampsia. I must retain fluid more so than others, although I drink at least 2-3 lites of water a day and don't really have additional salt in my diet.
    Mention this to your Ob/midwife next time.

Hi Veronica,

The weather change can do that to your hands as well.
    I would mention it at your next appt.

Didn't you say before that you have had headaches as well ?
    It can be a sign for PE. Mine always started with the swelling of my hands and feet. The last bit for me was my face it looked like a balloon.
    If you have any other signs like headaches and spots before your eyes mention them also when you see the m/w.

Hey Michelle, I thought that the weather change my have something to do with it. And yes, I was getting some nasty headaches that I mentioned to my doc last visit and he didnt seem too concerned. But I will mention this all to him this week!

I havent worn my rings or watch today, I dont really wear them on the weekends. I think I tried to put my ring on early this morning but wouldnt fit. I then tried again this afternoon after drinking lots of water and the ring fit. So I am going to try and aim to drink more water than what I have been.. I should have a toilet permamently strapped to me! lol

Hi Ngala.
    I had the same problem. my feet and hands were starting to swell up at about 20 weeks. Everyone was saying stuff like 'you shouldn't be swelling this early there is a problem'. I saw my Ob, and to quote him 'you are pregnant, these things are going to happen and yes, don;t worry it is completly normal'. He went on to say that if i had high blood pressure then he would be concerned.
    I stopped wearing rings and a watch at around 21 weeks, and am now 24 weeks. My feet still swell up, but rest them when I can.
    I would still mention it to your HCP however.
    Also the best way to reduce fluid retention is to drink more water as it flushes away the excess toxins and salts that your body. I drink at least 2 litres of water a day, plus diluted juices and milk.
    Hope this helps
    Blueflower