Thread: Swollen ankle help

Default Swollen ankle help

Hi All,

Over the past few days my ankles are becoming swollen. Right now it looks like I have strained them both!! A few weeks back my wrists/hands started swelling but seem to not be getting any worse..

I am a bit worried that this is the beginning of PE. At my last checkup my blood pressure had gone up from 120/60 to 130/70 but my doc didnt seem too concerned and just told me to put my feet up for 30 mins at the end of each day.

I have been doing this, but I dont really like the feeling of having my legs elevated for so long!

I've read over past threads and everyone says that increasing water, massage, exercise, reduce salt intake would help. I've been drinking water, exercising and all that since day one, so its nothing new to me. But the first time I noticed my swollen ankles was after I went for a 30min walk with my dogs. Would a walk make my ankles worse? What else can be done to try and minimise ankle swelling?

I had that with DD... all i could do was keep off my feet, raise them and drink lots and lots of fluid. I know its also cold but an ice bath for your feet will help too.

eek an ice bath!! I guess it does make sense cause ice would keep normal swelling down. Did you have PE or was it just normal fluid retention or preggy swelling?

i have a desk job and about 90% of the time am sitting down, should I put my feet on a box or something?

Fluid rentention and the normal preg swelling. I was thinking maybe PE but GP always said it was just retention. Idealy raised above heart is best...but when at work its a bit hard.... so id try a box or a small stool even.... just so they are not flat on the groud. Move your feet around...like swivel your ankles to keep blood moving around as well.
    Goodluck.. its not a nice feeling at all. I had it from about 28 weeks owards....and by 39 weeks i couldnt wear shoes, water from the shower hurt them when it hit.....and i thought it would go when bub was born.. but it hung around for another 2-3 weeks!

Ive worn thongs since about 16 weeks! Im a teacher and on my feet all day - the only thing that would get them down was if they were raised above chest level and sometimes I would use a wet towel if they were sore too. Jus raising them while sitting would keep them steady but not reduce! If that makes sense! My BP has been fine too - if you notice a sudden increase in the swelling or swelling in your face that comes on rapidly - make sure you get it checked but otherwise i hope you find something that helps!
    Oh you mentioned aqua aerobics classes too - being immersed in water from chest down helps as well!
    FIrst thing Im buying once this bub is out is the highest most gorgeous heels you have ever seen!!!! I literally havent worn antyhing but Havainas for 5 months!

I purchased a pair of knee high TED stockings (they use them in hospitals for patients) from the pharmacy and, although they look unattractive, I was able to stand/sit without my ankles swelling. It helped reduce the ache. They work by assisting the blood return to the heart therefore preventing the pooling of fluids in the lower limbs. I wore them walking and noticed a difference.

Lynnette x

Yeh I have been wearing thongs too for a while, but my feet are getting so cold these days from the cooler weather!! I have worn boots occassionaly and just had the zipper down.

Tan - LOL at wanting to buy the most gorgeous heels once bub is out!! I know what you mean, I have got my eyes on some really nice boots but see no point in buying them cause probably wont be able wearing them.

L-net - thanks for that. I might look into getting some to wear when I go out walking.

Actually - my doc recommended support stockings too but that was in the middle of a very hot Melbourne summer...as if!!! But now the weathers cooler they may really be able to help. Worth a try!

Support stockings will definitely help although they were not an option for me in a hot QLD summer. As long as the swelling goes down if you elevate your legs, then you should be fine. I know how uncomfortable it is, though. I used to have shoe size 7-8 and at the moment find it hard to even fit into my thongs. I bought some slippers today and needed to get a size 10!!!

You need to have your feet elevated above the level of your hips to be it effective. Try to keep off them as much as possible and drink lots and lots of water.

Oh but the more water I drink the more I gotta go to the toilet and therefore I am on my feet!! LOL Nah, I am trying to drink alot more water but I just get to the point that I dont want anymore water.

How do you know if your face is swelling from PE? Do you just wake up one morning and it is really puffy or is it a gradual thing?

How quickly should you see results from keeping legs elevated?? I went to sleep with my legs up on pillows last night, I think I slept like that for 1 hour before getting uncomfortable, but this morning there has been no change in my swollen ankles..

i have a desk job too and just keep my feet on a box. anything to reduce the marshmallows a little bit helps

1 hour doesn't seem very long. I try to watch TV at night with my legs up on the back of the couch if the swelling is bad.
    If there's no change in the swelling in the morning and you're worried, mention it to your HCP.