Thread: Taking Antibiotics whilst pregnant

Default Taking Antibiotics whilst pregnant

Has anyone taken antibiotics whilst they were pregnant?

My ear is killing me and I have a stuffy nose, headache, sore throat on the side of the sore ear AND to top it off a stupid cold sore.

Am seeing the doctor today as i think it might be an ear infection, which means I will have to take antibiotics.

I am just concerned that it will harm our baby. I really wanted to avoid any drugs or medication whilst pregnant.

I've just had an ear infection and the dr prescribed me Amoxicilan (sp?). He assured me that it is safe to take during pregnancy, so I trust him.

Lisa

Nadine - your Dr will prescribe antibiotics which are safe to take for a growing fetus.

I was on daily antibiotics from 24 weeks for my phyleonphritis, Matthew is fine and I`m on anitibiotics again now for an eye abscess and I`m TTC but I made sure the Dr was aware.

When I go to the Dr a warning always comes up on the computer about how safe the drug is in pregnancy.

Melinda Guest

There are PG-safe antibiotics available.

I'm not PG again (yet!) but recently had to go on antiobiotics for a bladder infection, and since we've started TTC, the doctor gave me Amoxil to be on the safe side.

I was on antibiotics for my sinuses around week 12ish I think. It was only 5 days worth. She assured me it was safe.

Hi Nadine.

Most antibiotics are Ok to use in pregnancy. But just to reasure yourself. When the Doc gives you a script just ask him if the drug is OK to use in pregnancy. I'm sure that he will not be offended, and you will have put your mind at rest.

Alan (Midwife)

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, I had antibiotics when I was 15 weeks and double checked with the chemist who said that as long as the medication falls into an A category it's perfectly safe. Check everything with your chemist though as some over the counter and off the shelf stuff isn't good for you while pregnant.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Sharon

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

It turns out that I have sinusitis. the doc gave me a prescription of Amoxyl and said that because I am pregnant, we will wait and see if it goes on it's own. If it hasn't gone by Monday, it is definately an infection and I will have to get the Amoxyl. Well today is Monday, and my ear is still abit sore, so I think i may have to get the antibiotics. He reassured me that it was safe for use during pregnancy. I didn't even have to ask.

It's reassuring also to hear that others have used it and their bubs are fine.

Thanks again

hi
    there is also a place you can call called mothersafe that has the most up to date information on what is safe during pg if you are still unsure. its a 1800 number but i can't find it now... maybe google it? i had to ring them about taking a prescription and they were really helpful... great for a 2nd opinion