Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: talking to bubs

abs Guest

Default talking to bubs

Something just made me think of what I do pretty much every morning and night and other times when possible

I talk to otto all the time. Sometimes I tell otto the silly things jen has done that day or what she's going to do and sometimes silly things I've done too

I even knock on her tummy to get otto's attention/wake him up in case he's asleep. Jen gets the biggest giggles when I do that

It's so much fun telling funny stories and saying things to otto - I'm just loving it

So how many other guys out there do it - or how many of you girls have your partner doing something similar

Have no idea on when the baby is meant to be able to detect sound from outside but I'm sure I've been doing it since before that time

Better do some more work now...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Moving to second trimester...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I think they are able to hear properly around week 18. So DH started reading stories every night around that time. I want bubs to recognise daddy's voice as well as mums when he's born. It's really nice. I had to pretty much force him at first, but now every night he says "is bubba ready for his story?" It's so cute

I also talk to my belly, probably not as much as you, but every now and then, especially if I'm being kicked I'll say something to him I guess as that increases I'll be talking to him more and more

I had big plans of playing the piano to him too, but that hasn't eventuated yet, I don't seem to get a chance to sit and play. But I will get around to it!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

DH and I have this thing that whenever we disagree about anything, I rub my belly and say 'look how your daddy talks to me", then DH'll rub my belly and say "your mum is nuts, but we can't help that" No matter how bad the argument is, it always makes us laugh!

And bub is going to be born thinking its dad is rude and his mum is mental! Lol!

love
    sushee

Hi Abs

Research has shown that your baby can hear quite well at 18 weeks. it is suspected that it can hear some sounds before that.

Alan (Midwife)

abs Guest

thanks - I too kiss the tummy at times during my talk, and tell otto I love him when I'm saying goodbye each and everytime I finish up

Oh and we did read a book to otto the other night too... That will increase soon

My Dh is not really into the belly talking - i think coz this is our first time. But at night before we go to sleep he always says goodnight Mahatt-mahatt. So i think that is good for him.

I always seem to be staring out into no wer and start talking to mahatt-mahatt. Its like i am talking to my imaginary friend - i'm sure people think i am weird!!!

I do talk to Declan at times, usually I ask him to give me a big kick. Or I will poke @ my stomach to wake him up.

Theresa that is so sweet of DH tlaking to your belly and reading stories. I wish Rob would've/did done that.

Opps sorry i meant to say Ivana, that is so sweet of DH to read stories to bubs and Theresa, that is so cute DH would kiss your belly.

That's so adorable matey.

I read to mine and did to my DS and DD from when I was 20 weeks everyday, DH thought I was nuts, so it's nice to hear Im not alone and I've heard they'll feel a calm with your voice whrn mum's not there.

OH NO that means you'll be able to settle the baby too. #-o LOL

We talk to Abby all the time.

When shes getting a good kick up ill start talking to her- telling her how clever and cute she is for kicking mummy, or telling her "that was a big one! what are you upto in there?" - that sort of stuff.

Tim talks to her too- and kisses my belly and gives belly rubs. He mostly tells her how beautiful she is, how wonderful she is, how clever she is and how much we love her!

We got a book today that Tim will start reading to her. I do believe that she can hear us as she seems to be starting to respond to things.

yayyyyyy

I often talk to my babies especially when driving home from work. I tell them what I am going to cook and do that night.

Steve also chats to them and rubs my belly lots.

abs its great that you are talking to otto so much i talk sometimes, and i often prompt DH to talk to the baby too, i read that they can hear our voices from 18 weeks, i sort of felt weird talking to baby though but now i know im not the only one i feel a lot more comfy with it and will do it a lot more often! oh, i held the phone to my belly the other night so DH could say goodnight to him from work, that was pretty cute O we will have to start thinking of some lullabys to sing to baby so he will recognise them when he is born

I used to talk to Kynan all the time when I was PG. And from about 19-20 weeks I regularly read him his special book (a rhyming one especially written to be read to babies in the womb). He still loves it when I read the book to him now (actually, when I recite it to him as I now know it off by heart LOL!).

We've been reading when we go to bed, but now that bubs has his little routine happening... wakes up at 9.00 every night, we've decided to read then while he's awake. It's fun! And I watch him kicking my belly while daddy reads

I too read that they could hear from about 18 weeks, so since just after then, I've been paying careful attention to sing and read to Lucy (especially the singing - so if you're driving around Sydney and see some crazy pg lady singing away to herself in the car don't laugh!).

We have a little routine each night where I get the monitor that lets us listen to her in the womb and try to catch the hb and some movements (she always kicks it off!) and then I read a chapter of a book.

I read that although they can hear, at this stage it's mostly Mum and indistinct sounds, later on they can make out Dad's voice as well if they're used to it, so I'll make DP read after about 30 weeks. She should be sick of my singing by then!

Oh, and Sushee, I tell DP everytime we have a fight and he raises his voice that the first time his daughter hears him will be saying nasty things to Mummy!

Jennifer - I got DH to read from the start.. probably more for him than for bubba. I think DH struggled with the 'reality' of the baby really being in there! So after maybe a week or two of making him read.. he now really enjoys it. It's his special time with bubba. And I figure bubs is hearing my voice all day every day.. it'd make a nice change to hear a deeper voice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast