Thread: Too much caffeine?

Default Too much caffeine?

HI All,

First time mum here. I am worried I drank too much caffeine today. Had a cup of coffee and a coke. I know its bad for me but i was craving for the both!

How does caffeine affect the baby.

I try to avoid caffeine on a daily basis but today, really craved for it.

Cheers all!

HI,

don't stress over it.

Obviously caffeine is really not very good for either of you, yet i'm sure the recomended quatities vary depending on who you talk to.

my info from about 6 months ago now says no more than 350mg per day which is equivalent to 4 cups of strong coffee or 2.5 litres of coke.

I think you might have had less than that.

Billy Ocean Guest

I wouldn't worry. The dietician at the hosptial told me that I could have 3 cups of coffee per day without it being a problem. Seeing as I've given up smoking and drinking, I still enjoy my coffee!
    Last edited by Billy Ocean; November 2nd, 2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling

I agree... I wouldn't worry.
    I still have a cup each morning, and occsaionally will have 2 in one day. Its really the only pleasure left LOL

Thanks for the response guys!
    Its funny being a mummy, cause you always thinking what you do might cause harm to your baby (which some things invariably will).

THANK YOU ALL!!!

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Ooooh im glad ive read this, i was stressing having a standard cuppaccino every now and then with DP...

I drank a large iced coffee every day during my first pregnancy and it hasn't appeared to have had any adverse effects on my little one.
    I think the reason that they warn against caffeine is that research has shown where you are at high risk of miscarriage even a single cup can contribute. If you don't have any real medical reasons to be concerned about miscarriage (like family history) a few cups a day will be okay.
    I think it also depends on what your body was used to before you fell pregnant.

HI...
    I am one of those people that use to drink tea all day. When i fell pg i stopped totally and suffered really bad headache and just couldnt get my energy levels up (or so it seemed) I went back to drinking 2-4 cups of tea a day (less caffine than coffee) and dont feel too bad about it.
    Checked with my OB and he told me that it was fine.
    Its the one think that i really enjoy that i cant give up.

Try not to beat yourself up, most of us will enevitably eating or drinking something that we shouldnt at some stage throughout the 9mths+ as long as you are trying to do the right thing the majority of the time im sure you will be fine.

BTW i had a friend that drank 600ml coke EVERY day and tea and coffee throughout both pg and babies were fine - i wouldnt do it, but some do!