Thread: Ultrasound Measurements

Default Ultrasound Measurements

Ok, i hope this isnt anything to worry about but i just had my ob appointment and he measured the babys head and it was measuring 29 weeks and then he measured the body and it was measuring 27weeks 4 days which is exactly what i am.
    Is this normal and will the body catch up? its probably really silly to be worrying about but i cant help it!
    i have tried to call him back just to ask him but he is in appointments for the rest of the day but im just hoping someone can ease my mind.

There is nothing to worry about. It does take awhile for their head to catch up with their body. My Gp told me that it is extremely rare for all the u/s measurements to add up to the same dates. When I has having DD #1, her measurements varied from 18 weeks to 21 weeks and I was 20 weeks at the date of the u/s.

There are many reasons for the size descrepancies in u/s, so your baby is fine!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Oh yeah, do not freak out. It is totally normal. All of Jonah's measurements were always out by a week or so. They will let you know if something is wrong.

dont worry, my last us showed that half the mesurements were in two differant weeks i spoke to them about this and this is normal. babies grow at there own pace

Dee, we had our u/s today, and I was wondering the same thing too!! I am 19w2d, and most of the measurements - apart from the head which was measuring spot on - were about 5-7 days short of what I think I am. I asked the sonographer and he said it's perfectly normal.

Fee Guest

I think it's normal. Each body part our sonographer measured came up with a different date!!! They were all so different.

Nothing to worry about I don't think.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

You have to remember that ultrasound dates are calculated on averages and mathematics, not individual, unique babies We are all so different shapes and sizes as adults, same goes with babies
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

When you think about it, the measurements are tiny. It's easy to imagine them as huge differences, but it's only cm's. When I was 36weeks, they decided to worry me to death (the midwives) by saying my bub had shrunk. So I went for an u/s. She hadn't shrunk but she had measurements all over the place. her tummy was ready to be born (40weeks plus) her head was 35 weeks and her legs were 37 weeks. i thought I was going to give birth to a turtle.
    Sometimes we just find out too many things that aren't important. My baby looked TOTALLY normal and was perfect in my opinion. Alot of what we find out in pregnancy is stuff that without new technology we wouldn't know anyway, and I think we'd be alot better off without it!! xo

Yeah mine were all slightly different too +/- a week. Maybe your bub needs a bigger head to fit extra brains in

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Well said Meg!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Thanks heaps guys.

This stuff is all new to me and its good to know that its normal. My ob kind of scared me a bit when he took the measurement and then said to himself "nah, that cant be right" and then took it again and it was the same.

I guess they are tiny measurements when you think about it but i was driving home yesterday thinking that im going to give birth to some mutant thing with this MASSIVE head and tiny little body!

Colleen Guest

this thread just reminds me of being told my bubs head was 40 weeks at about 32 weeks lol

then they told me he was around the 12 pound mark the day before my c/s and he came out around 10 so they can be wayyyy out!

Individual Babies, make for Individual people!

I wouldnt worry!

We had 2weekly scans from the 29 week mark and the difference between all our baby's parts were as much as 4 weeks... IYKWIM They NEVER EVER matched up!

As in the legs would be 34 weeks and the head would be 38!! LOL

She turned out perfect....