Thread: upsetting ultrasound

Default upsetting ultrasound

I had my 20 week ultrasound today and am extremely upset.
    The ultrasound operator said less than two words to me during the entire 40 minutes, she didn't explain anything to me, couldn't tell me the gender of the baby. Worst of all, she didn't give me a photo of bubs.
    I don't know what to think.
    Has anyone else had an experience like this? Should I be worried about something being wrong?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I had that experience with my first bub, only they stuffed up my appointment time and were angry at me for having to fit me in! I only got a 5 minute scan, he was rough and apparently was supposed to be very experienced so I was looking forward to a good scan. Oh actually I did get a picture but it was one of the top of it's head, so all I could see was a round circle shape of the skull!!!

Like any industry, some people have no communication skills, it's not nice if you are on the receiving end, especially during such a special time. You'll be able to find out the results from your doctor, so don't worry if something was wrong, you will find out but I can understand you being so upset, I was angry too.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Firstly, welcome to BellyBelly C1nders.

Thats really awful Regardless of the outcome of the U/S her badmanner was apalling. I would make an apt to see your Dr and then make a formal complaint to the clinic you went to and ask for another U/S FOR FREE even. Thats just awful! Don't let her get away with treating you this way.... :fuming: Ruffle feathers and rock boats till you get some answers! This is your baby and you have a right to know whats going on!

*hugs*
    Cailin

C1nders so sorry to hear your u/sound wasn't a great experience. I'd be making a formal complaint like Cailin suggested

My 12 week ultrasound was a bit like that - not able to lie in a position that I could see any of the scan - in the last minute she said see, legs, arms, head heartbeat and then I left with no pictures. It was my second child but I still left angry and upset - so glad I'm getting to go to a different clinic for the next one. My only relief was she was able to confirm everything seemed ok.

Being the 20 week I can only imagine it was worse. Ask your doctor for some pictures they usually have plenty of spares especially at the 20 week - I was able to get hold of the films (ike xray films) from my 12 week so that was at least something -not great for putting on the fridge though. I'd also be letting your Dr know as these places depend on referrals - maybe your doc won't refer further people there if he has a different option (they usually have 2 or 3 different places they send people).

I'm sure your doctor will confirm everything is fine and have a lot better bedside manner and some understanding. Good luck

Hi C1inders and welcome to BB.

I had that experience with Lindsay. The operator was a very young girl and she went off at me because I was only actually 18wks, not 20. (had to have it earlier because we were going away) She told me quite rudely to come back because she couldn't get any proper measurements. Then when I asked for a picture she then said, 'we don't do that at 18wks' SO ANGRY!!!! I could have cried. In the end it didn't matter cause when I asked my Doc, he said that the measurements were fine!. So the only U/S picture I have of Lindsay was at 6wks where all you can see is the sac.

I think you should make a fuss too, because you may not get another chance to see your bub IYKWIM?

Thanks for the replies.
    I've calmed down a little bit now and am just happy that I got to see my bub and see the heart beating.
    I have an appointment with my doc next Friday, so I will mention my experience to him.
    The sonographer pushed so hard at times that I had to grit my teeth, then I was worried because I hadn't felt any kicks for a few hours. But 9:30 came around and I got my kicks as usual, right on schedule.
    Thanks again for the welcome. Hope to be around more often and get to know everyone.

Hi C1inders,

First of all welcome to BB. I am so sorry you had such an awful experience with your u/s. I had an awful 19wk u/s with this pg, the old fart (sorry) didn't hardly explain anything and when he did he said he couldn't tell me whether bubs brain was ok and couldn't see a lot and almost implied it was my fault somehow. If I was you I would see you OB and explain t them you weren't happy with your last u/s and ask if you could have another one done, somewhere else. I did and my OB had no problem with that and I had another one done and it was such a relief.

Cee_Cee99 Guest

Hi C1inders
    I'm sorry that your experience was not what you expected - or wanted.. they are a strange bunch of people... when they found something wrong with my ultra sound at 19 weeks they said to me "gee your calm, most women woudl be hysterical if I told them their baby had this problem", which made it so much worst for me - I was trying really hard to control my emotions, then feel bad for doing so!!!!

I actually wished they had said nothing during the scan to me... If they find something don't worry, they keep you there for hours and hours, so the fact taht you got to go home more than likely means you and your little one are normal and good.

Really honey, they know nothing, have no idea, don't listen to them anyway.. they just do the test, the pictures go to a doctor who examins them and writes a report to send to your doctor.

the person who took your scan probably did not know anything anyway, they are just there to take the pictures...

If you are worried, call your doctor, he will read you the results over the phone, you should not have to wait!

tell your doctor that you did not get a picture, one may have come with the report that he can copy for you...

good luck honey and keep us updated

Hi I had something similar too, I was the last patient for the day and she was in a rush to get home obviously! she was rough and she wouldnt turn the screen so i could see and i had to ask for a photo. On the plus side though i had it videoed. The place where i go for my u/s does a video for you for $15. It might be something worth enquiring about when you book your next scan. I had the last 2 videoed (18wks & 29wks) so that my DF could see too because he had to work and was unable to attend. It did turn a negative to a positive thats for sure especially considering they use a doppler ultrasound so you get a recording of the heartbeat on the video. Its great to look back on and you can watch the video in slow motion and really check out the bubba!! lol well thats what i did
    Have a great day
    Mel

Kellee Guest

I'm so sorry that all of you guys had such negative u/s experiences. Cinders, I reckon you should kick and scream and bang on walls and hit people (ok, well, maybe not the last one) until you get a 'good' sonogram. Bloody medical professionals tend to forget that this is a very important time of your life, and that u/s can be a very personal and sacred thing for a pg woman. Just because it's 'only' their job, doesn't mean that they have any right to be rude. Big hugs to you, and let us know how you go.

Thanks for all the comments and support everyone.
    I rang the hospital and they provided me with the films of the ultrasound, unfortuantely there were no good profile shots, but something is better than nothing.
    I did compalin to my doc that the sonographer was rough and she upset me, but he basically defended her and said she was probably stressed because she couldn't get all the measurements. What about my stress? I was really angry with him for that. He did tell me everything looked ok though.
    I have decided that the best thing is to just let it go, it's not worth stressing over. I can feel bub moving and that's the best reassurance in the world.
    Cindy

SarahMc Guest

i had a ultrasound like that when i was 20weeks. they were running late and the guy didnt seem happy at all, he was a little rough and when i said i wanted to find out the sex, he tried for like 10secs and said "nah cant tell". i was so upset. however i got a phone call days after saying that this guy hadnt measured things properly and they booked me another appointment. so when we went back in we got the lady we had all other times and she had to do EVERYTHING again cause the guy basically didnt do anything right. and she even tried to find out the sex for us and succeeded, and said we were having a boy.

i think just some times the people are in a hurry, or just cant b bothered

angelfish Guest

I too had a bad ultrasound experience.

I had struggled to drink the recommended gallon or something of water as it was apparently so important that I should have a full bladder. On arrival, the ultrasound person asked whether I had drunk the water. When I said I had, she said "Well I prefer an empty bladder. Go to the toilet!". She then warned me and husband not to chat as she didn't want to be distracted. It took about 40 minutes for her to get a good look at the baby/foetus's heart, during which time she was very brusque if not downright rude. She kept demanding I go the the toilet, even though I said my bladder was already empty. I don't know whether she had just had a really bad day (we were the last appointment) or had PMT or what, but it was hardly fair to make out that I was to blame for my baby being in a difficult to scan position. At the end of it, all she told us was it didn't look as though there were anything wrong. (Big deal. I knew that already.)

Perhaps I was hormonal and extra sensitive, maybe it wasn't quite as bad as I remember, but it was certainly a far cry from what I'd been expecting. I had some kind of Hallmark-cum-Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints ad picture in my head. You know, the scene with a nice yellow glow over it, me glowing with health and happiness, husband looking on fondly, finding baby's face and exchanging a loving look, maybe a few tears of joy... Dh didn't particularly want to come but I bullied him into taking a couple of hours off work so he could share this Important Moment with me. All we got was this grumpy woman who made me feel inadequate.

Result - second pregnancy I decided not to have any ultrasounds, and I probably won't next time either.