Thread: UTI or uterus pushing on bladder??

Default UTI or uterus pushing on bladder??

Hi girls,

I am wondering if there is a noticiable difference between a UTI and just general urinary problems associated with pregnancy? Ever since my pregnancy started i have had problems urinating. At 4 weeks i had a urine test and all was clear. Now i am week 13 and the problem is continuing. It flows then stops all of a sudden. If i push hard and sit forward i can get more of it out by straining. Last night it took 45 mins to fully empty my bladder in one sitting which i think is now beyond normal!! Could it be that the uterus is pushing on my bladder? I thought this was meant to resolve by the second trimester!

I don't have any stinging or urgency to go ( like with a UTI) its just become difficult at times!!

Anyone experienced the same?

It doesn't sound like a UTI (although you should report any urinary symptoms to your health care provider, as UTIs are a common cause of preterm labour). It could be that your uterus is pushing down on things but you shouldn't need to strain and in fact you could make the problem worse by straining on your urinary sphincter. I would strongly recommend speaking to your health care provider about this - many hospitals have clinics attached to them especially for dealing with urinary issues, and while you aren't incontinent, having trouble communicating your wishes to your bladder might need some help from someone experienced with these issues!

I sometimes have trouble getting started and I find that just gently rocking backwards and forwards while I'm sitting down, and sometimes even physically lifting my uterus up and off my bladder!

Sometimes the uterus does cause these problems. Often leaning forward can help. If not, see if you can lift your tummy up a bit with your hand - moving the baby usually helps.

If neither of those things help then I think a doctor's visit would be a good idea.

Thanks for the advice ladies. It seems to have improved. I went to the Dr and he also thought it may just be my uterus position. I still had a urine test and if i didn't hear from him today all was clear - so i guess i must be fine. Thanks again!