Thread: Vegetarian and Pregnant??

Default Vegetarian and Pregnant??

Hi there,

I am currently 20weeks pg (well 20 tomorrow) and I am a vegetarian or really pescatarian cause I eat fish just no other type of meat including pork or chicken. This is my second pg and my first was born healthy and 8pound 5ounces so not so little either.

However, this pg I have had very servere m/s with heaps of V right up until only about a week or so ago and I've also had the runs many times I have not really put on any weight but the baby is growing fine even from my last scan (19weeks). My problem is I am worrying about the baby growing and the organs functioning ok etc and getting all the right nutrients as I can't eat meat and haven't for about 8 years now.

I am worrying because someone said to me the other day that they have a friend of theirs that was a vegetarian until she was pg and suffered a really late Misscarriage like around 7 or 8 months cause they didn't eat meat and now this person eats meats cause she totally blames herself for the loss of her baby. This has totally freaked me out and I can't stop thinking about it but also don't think I could just start eating meat nor do I think it would be healthy for me cause I haven't digested it for so long.

Anyway, this is my dilema and was just wondering if anyone has had any experience/knowledge about anything like this cause ofcourse that last thing I want is to harm my baby cause of my own lifestyle choice. I will do whatever necessary to help my baby be healthy and happy.

Thanks for listening.
    xxdd

Oh hun, I dont know details, but generally people who eat well balanced vegetarian diets are wayyyy healthier than omnivores! Our bodies digest food way better when we dont eat meat! Id make sure I was eating properly, but id totally ignore that story! Sounds like loads of crap to me, im sure her vegetarianism wasnt the cause of her late (and tragic) miscarriage.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

I am sorry for poor lady but maybe her diet was poor in all areas or it was totally unrelated.

MY SIL is vegetarian and had three normal children now 15- 20 with no problems.

Do a goggle search for vegetarian diet recommendations in pregnancy - I am sure their would be plenty of answers 7th day Adventists and other religions who don't eat meat too - have perfectly normal pregnancies and children.

Thanks guys I don't know why I didn't think of googling before I think I was just too stressed over it. Must be Pg brain.