Thread: Ventolin safe during pregnancy?

Question Ventolin safe during pregnancy?

I'm sure the answer is yes, but just thought I would check.

I've got a really bad cold with a horrific cough (ie, cough so hard I vomit, cough so hard I've changed undies several times today etc etc) and its been building up all day - the feeling like I have a huge weight on my chest, and earlier I could hardly breathe, I couldn't say a full sentence without stopping every 2 words, and I just felt awful.

So DH gave me his puffer, and I used it (even though I'm a bit of a dork and kept hitting my tongue with the spray) and it really helped take that feeling away, plus I'm not coughing as much as I was before.

So even though I'm not an asthmatic - is it safe for me to use it? I only used it because DH was threatening to call the ambulance because I could hardly breathe if I didn't use it.

Yep- pretty sure it's fine but it's never best to take someone else's presciption medication. My aunty developed gestational asthma in her second pregnancy- if you're feeling that bad I'd go see a doctor hon.

Bahh don't tell me that!!!

And yes, we usually don't take each other's prescription medication, but didn't think it was THAT bad, cos you can get it over the counter, so not by prescription, I would never take his preventative - which is prescribed for him - ITMS? LOL

And yes, DH has already told me to go see a doctor - and I HATE seeing docs.

Yes, ventolin is fine during pregnancy.

My GP prescribed ventolin for pregnancy related cough. She mentioned it's sometimes used as an obstetric drug anyway. so it's safe

You dont even need a perscription for a ventolin puffer - you can get them from a chemist over the counter.. its AOK to use, I use it quite oftern pregnant or not as I have had athma all my life.

Also Panadol has a cough suppressent in it too.. so my DR told me to take the panadol and the puffer...

I agree with all the above responses - ventolin's safe as houses during pg. Apparently it's far worse for the bub if mum has bad asthma (well, so I was told).
    Just so you're aware, I had a shocking cold and cough when pregnant with DS1 - my GP prescribed me a different inhaler, Seretide (purple inhaler) which worked as an asthma preventer and helped with the cough. Worth a thought if you feel bad enough to go to the dr.

Hope you feel better soon.

Have you been to the Dr yet chicky?

Hope your feeling better xoxox

FYI, panaDOL doesn't have a cough suppressant in, panaDIENE does. The codeine knocks out a cough completely, but is addictive and gets you constipated.

I've got a cough that won't quit and I just got myself an asthma preventer, hopefully that works. Takes a few days though.

i was told not to use ventolin while pregnant...

as it is a muscle relaxant.. thats how it dilates the bronchi.. and helps supress the cough by opening up the airways..

funny how different drs say different things..

Yeah I saw a doc for DD2 and he heard me cough, so checked my lungs, and I have an infection in one of them so am on antibiotics (which I keep forgetting to take) and he said to take 2 puffs of ventolin 4 times a day. Then I asked if it was safe to use during pregnancy (cos he didn't know I was pregnant) and he looked it up - category b apparently, so not the safest, but not on the unsafe list. He then said to use it once, 4 times a day instead of twice.

So yeah - that was the advice!

My asthma has flared since I was pregnant, specially with the constant snotfest that my DD's have going at the moment. I used my ventolin alot and all was fine. Hopefully once your chest infection resolves things will settle down, it is an awful feeling. xxx

yeh thats prob why my doc said not to take it

yucko mel