Thread: Very quiet baby... should I be worried?

Default Very quiet baby... should I be worried?

Over the passed day or two bub has been very quite. I can still feel the occassional small movement but nothing major. I got out my doppler and had a listen, found bub's h/b straight away. Is there any other reason bub would be so quiet?

Tanya

Tan sweety - I posted to you about this in the belly buddy thread. I hope some of the other gals can shed some light on why your little lady is being a bit quiet. My guess is she is a placid baby and it might be harder for you as you are comparing her to previous pregnancies - whereas a first timer like me has nothing to compare to, so any movement is a good sign in my book!

Hugs to you sweety,
    Lisa

Thanx Lisa

I think I am starting to worry myself, thinking before anything horrible happens, there might be a sign that may be a clue that something bad is going to happen like bub dying... eeepp that is horrible to say

Tanya

just give your hospital a call and speak to a midwife.. they may suggest coming coming up to get atrace done... any movement is good though.. but for peace of mind ring a midwife

Oh tan - take Nic's advice and ring the hossy if you really feel like things arent going well. Im praying there is nothing wrong, but yes for peace of mind, speak to a professional (oh and ask Alan the midwife - he might be able to shed some light). How is she going today - any movements?

Tanya - i know exact how you are feeling. My baby was been really quiet as well for the past 2 weeks or so, but, over the weekend, has been going crazy. Has quitened down again abit yesterday, and today, (made up for it last night thou).
    But, the same as you, just the occasional movement, nothing painful, just, if you wernt thinking about it, you wouldnt of noticed the movement - IYKWIM?
    If you still have the heart beat, and are getting the occasional movement, then, dont stress to much. I also thought the same thing when i first noticed a drop in movements - couldnt bring myself to say it thou - that it was slowing dieing.
    But, we all have times where we just couldnt be stuffed doing much - no reason baby wouldnt have the same feelings - i mean? What is there for it to do?
    Last edited by ~Debbie~; April 30th, 2007 at 12:01 PM.

Tanya. It is a scary feeling isn't it?

As with anything in pregnancy - if you are really worried - call your care giver or hospital. In this instance they may ask you to go into the hospital for some CTG monitoring which will be very reassuring because you will get to listen to bub move.

On a personal note - I hardly felt DD move during my pregnancy. I did feel a lot of movement early on but then I stopped feeling movement - unless she was being really violent (you know the ones where your belly jumps out?). It annoyed me that people could put their hands on my belly and feel bubs move - but I wasn't feeling it. There were various reasons for it; stress and preoccupation were the mains one. I was too busy with other stuff that I just wasn't noticing. And also I got used to it so my brain kind of tuned out (I'm weird, I know).
    If you are worried bubs isn't moving, make yourself an icey drink and skull it (as much as you can in cooler weather!) and then lay down for half an hour or so. This is usually enough to get baby moving and some reassurance for you.

HTH and thinking of you.

MG

Tanya
    She is just having a rest or perhaps sleeping

OK now IM worried! I havent felt any movement since last night around 9pm - should I be worried?? Im trying to stay rational and think that bub is just having some down time after being so active the past few days.

I just spoke with my OB and they said to come in anytime today if im worried, but it should be ok. We have agreed to wait until 2pm and if no movement, ill be going in for a check on bubs.

Awww Lisa sorry I missed your post...
    My bub has been active since last night, So I have calmed down

Let us know how you go, ok.

Tanya

It is completely normal if your baby has a couple of quiet days after a few very active ones. But if you're worried, see your doc. Hope all is well.

Thanks gals

Tan - i just posted a few mins ago so it was a pretty quick response - thank you Im so glad your little lady has been active, you must feel so relieved!

Alex - thanks hun for your reassuring words.

I'll keep you posted!

Hi girls. I had that too - really active days and then almost nothing. Like Alan said, it can just be that your bubs is having a long rest. My OB also said that sometimes after bubby has gone through a bit of a growth spurt they're quiet for a while- I usually found bub's quiet days coincided with days where I felt really cr*p - she'd gone through a growth spurt and it had drained us both.

Definitely worth checking though to get some reassurance - I had a few melt downs when I couldn't feel Ed for a few hours at a time!

Thanks Lulu - actually come to think of it - I have been feeling like crap and extremely tired these past few days! Ok im feeling better and better with each lovely post

Lisa, I would say the little one could have been moving while you were asleep too, so you wouldn't have noticed it then. But I hope you start feeling some more movement by the time you go to your Dr.

Update: Just had lunch and it seems to have stirred bubs up - felt a few good thumps in the last 30mins or so - YAY!! Will go to my regular OB appt tomorrow.

That's good to hear Lisa.