Thread: wee wee samples& 20 week scan

Talking wee wee samples& 20 week scan

I'm sure this is probably a stupid question but...
    when I take a urine sample to my obgyn does it have to be fmu or can it be done at any time of the day? I forgot to take a sample last time and I also forgot to ask him this very important wee wee question !!

Also wanting to ask what things the sonographer checks at your 18-20 week scan??? We have ours tomoz-- I'll be 19 weeks and 6 days-- and was just wondering what we should expect.
    Thanks lovely ladies,
    Hope xoxo

It can be any time of day urine. I think they prefer mid stream. HTH. The sonographer will check babies heart and organs, spine etc and measure bones all sorts of great things. They may tell you if there is a little something extra between the legs, lol.

wee sample should be first mornings. Doesnt need to be kept anywhere special, i just left mine on the bench for the day (wrapped).
    19week scan, from my exp, prob dont need to ask much. They just go thru the measurements, heart, legs, arms, brain etc. I didnt ask many questions. Just if something came to mind while she was doing the scan, like at one stage, when checking the blood flow thru the heart, i asked if it picked up heart defects etc.
    i was ment to have an appoint at 21weeks with my obs, and would go thru any issues that may have risen from the u/s. But, had to cancel , and will be having that appoint on Thur at 23weeks.

I asked and was told it could be anytime also - it didn't have to be FMU.

Call your obs rooms and ask if you want, i think thats what i did

well, technically, my obs says first morning, but, of the 3 or 4 appointments, i have had, only 1 was a first morning, the rest where taken at the appointment.

I've never had to give a urine sample for any of my appointments.

At my 20 weeks scan they checked the organs like brain, heart, stomach... also looked at the spine to make sure something had closed over, checked that there are legs, arms, feet and hands... measured how long baby was and how big its head was and the circumference of its chest. I think there were a few other things but i cant remember now. My scan took about an hour and a quarter.

I do mine at the end of the day b/c I am the last appointment of my obs for the day and am at work all day, so I don't want to carry FMU with me all day.
    The 20 week scan, obs checked everything that Karina said.

karina: you NEVER had your urine checked? How would they be checking for protein and the symptoms of pre eclampsia then?

Hi,

I'm like Karina - my OB has never asked for a sample. And he's never weighed me - although I'm actually quite happy not to be weighed LOL!

A lot of hospitals no longer check you urine, if they do the urine can be collected at any time of day. Some hospitals prefer yoto give your sample when you arrive at the hospital. The theory for this is that the longer you leave your urine for before testing the more chance bugs have of growing and giving a false positive

I too have never been asked for a urine sample but I'm only 16wks maybe as caro said after 20wks it will happen.

Did everyones 19wk scan take 1 houras Katrinas did? I was expecting a bit longer than the 12wks scan but not that long - not complaining longer to see bubs and ensures they are thorough but just seems a long time.

Thanks for your responses girls. I'm off to the ob today with my wee and I'm going to do what some of you have suggested and do it just before my appt. That way i won't have to scare my work colleagues by putting urine in our faculty fridge!

Bridee-- my scan yesterday only took half an hour. Maybe it takes longer if you want gender determination?? We didn't so that could've shortened it. They were very thorough though and we could even see bubs bladder filling up!!! Apparently we have a VERY active bub on our hands-- should I be scared?!

Thanks again,
    Hope xo

At my midwife appointment we check our own wee by weeing on a stick in the toilet before our appointment and checking the colours match with the chart. They also tell us to weigh ourselves but we don't have to.

My scan took about 25 mins, the woman was quite grumpy and didn't say much!