Thread: Weight Gain

Lorin Guest

Default Weight Gain

Can someone tell me what the right amount of weight you are meant to put on. They say 7kg's is maximum weight throughout a preganancy and if your putting anymore then 7kgs on then its excess fat. Thats what i have heard does any body else have a different answer???

Thanks Guys

There is no 'right' amount of weight to put on through pregnancy.
    I have heard that the 'average' weight gain is from 10-15kg.
    Don't forget that our bodies actually need the extra fat stores when pg, so even if you are putting on fat weight as well as baby weight, some of that is still necessary.
    It also depends on how much you weighed before you fell pg.
    Sometimes its common for women who are overweight before pg to gain less weight during their pg, and for women who are underweight before pg to put on a lot more.

I was about 5-10kg underweight before I fell pg, and ended up gaining 40kg in my pg (but that was due to a lot of other factors as well).

As long as you are eating healthily, doing moderate levels of activity or excercise, and bubs is healthy... then there is no need to worry about how much you gain during pg.
    I have actually heard that there are heaps of OB's/midwifes that never weight their pg women clients at all.

HTH

Lorin Guest

Ok well thank you, it gives me alot to think about now.

I dont want tot put on too much wieght because i wiegh 50 kgs and i am a small person as in short wise and well im 14 weeks and really only 52 kgs but eat alot havnt started walking yet as i have moved houses trying to find a nice place to walk. What other excerises would you suggest is good for bubs

Hi Lorin

7kg is a little low. Weight gain depends a lot on what your weight was before you got pregnant. If you were underweight then you can expect to gain more weight than I you were overweight. Below is a very rough guide to how much weight you can expect to gain.

Baby 3.5kg
    Amniotic Fluid 1kg
    Placenta 700g
    Breast Tissue 1kg
    Blood Volume 1.5kg
    Uterine Muscle 1kg
    Water 2kg
    Maternal body fat 4kg
    Total 14.7kg

Don’t worry about your weight gain. It is far more important that you have a good well balanced diet.

Not sure, but I would say everyone's different and it's more important to focus on health rather than weight. Like, some ppl blow up like a balloon where others look like they've only stuffed a balloon up their top

Whenever you go see your ob/midwife just ask 'Am I too fat'? And they'll tell you if you need to change anything.

I'm sure other people will be able to help with average weight gain stats, but I reckon it's better to have excess fat and be fit, than to have not much fat but be really unfit.. 8-[ pehaps I will go for a walk this arvo...

Edited to add: Lorin, my midwife wants me to do walking, swimming, and maybe yoga, or some sort of stretching. Avoid kickboxing and rugby.

Swimming is really good, as theres virtually no impact on your joints/ligaments etc, and it supports your weight really well, which makes it quite comfortable especially as you get bigger/heavier with your growing belly.

There are also a couple of pregnancy excercise DVD's available...

The main caution when excercising when pg is to not to let your heartrate get too high.

Also check with the hospital you are going through... I took part in Pregnastics classes run by the hospitals physio dept for Pg women... they were really great, it was a combination of low impact aerobics, pilates, and relaxation excercises.

Lorin Guest

Thanks very much guys. i will ask my GP what she recons i havnt met midwife yet!