Thread: What not to eat

Default What not to eat

Hi everyone!!

This is my first time here, I am currently 21 weeks pregnant and was wondering if there is a list of foods in which to eat during pregnancy and which foods to avoid? I'm craving last nights rice but abit hesitant to eating it. :-k

there are a few foods wich can cause lysteria which can be harmful to your baby. its a type of bacteria found in:

processed meats like ham, salami etc
    Soft cheeses like brie, camembert etc

Tigergirl1980 Guest

What kind of rice is it? I wouldn't think there would be a problem if it was heated through properly

Its boiled rice. I keep hearing all these stories about what to stay away from and I keep freaking out, this is my first pregnancy and I'm 19 years old. Another thing is with peanut butter I have really bad cravings for this and read not to eat it (I have eaten on a few occasions) and then I ask the dr and they said its fine. I just get really confused because I know I shouldnt believe all things that I read on the net but I cant help myself. 8-[

Tigergirl1980 Guest

It's easy to understand. But plain boiled rice is fine and it was only from yesterday there's an article Here on which foods to avoid that may be of some use to you

ETA:- There are many conflicting stories on what to and what not to eat. Some people steer clear of everything that you're not "supposed" to eat and some people don't worry and just eat what they want. I steered clear of most things but I did cave and had some peanut butter towards the end. Basically use your best judgement, if you feel too guilty about having it then don't have it, people have eaten many things and their babies turned out alright. And way back when no one cared about what they ate and I sure ate a lot of things that are said to be no no's these days and they have had perfectly healthy children. Anyway, as I said use you best judgement, if it doesn't feel right don't do it.

Have you booked into hospital yet? From memory there was some info in the bounty bag that you get when you book in. Also ask the hospital midwives for some info. They cover it if you do ante natal classes but that is too far along in the PG to put your mind at ease.

Whats in this Bounty bag everyone is talking about? Is this only with Public hospitals? I never received anything from my hospital which is private so im thinking maybe its a Public hospital thing?

Bel

The bounty bag has info, samples and vouchers in it from companies like Target, Huggies, Curash and those kinds of things.

I always eat peanut butter - my GP said its a really good source of protein.

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Bin have you had your booking in appointment yet - that is when they give you the 1st bag - 2nd at birth and 3rd collect from target after the birth.
    My friend got hers at private hospital.

I have eaten peanut butter but it says not too if you have family allergies to nuts. Nuts are good source of protein in pregnancy for those not allergic I was told.

If you google food in pregnancy you will get plenty of options - what to eat and avoid.

There are a couple of new brochures which most Drs have, GPs included and there are many excellent sites on the 'net which deal with Listeriosis. Some of these are government health websites so can be relied upon to be pretty reputable with current facts.

On the subject of the Bounty Bags. They are not routinely given out in all areas any more. I know for a fact that down here in Hobart, the Royal Hobart Hospital decided not to hand them out any more because many women were opening them, taking the samples and leaving the rest littering the waiting areas at the clinics etc. If your hospital (wherever it might be) DOESN'T give you a Bounty Bag, ask them and if they have stopped supplying them you can ring the manufacturers and they will send you one via Aust Post.

Lisa