Thread: When can babies hear?

Default When can babies hear?

Just wondering if anyone knows what week bubs are able to hear by? I can't wait til our little guy can hear us talking to him!!

Thanks!

If i remember correctly i THINK its around 25 weeks??? Not too sure though!

I read on one of the week-by-week sites that, at week 18, the baby can hear noises filtering in (eg would be startled by a loud bang), and at week 23 can recognise the rumblings of your voice.

I'm with Berry... that is what I have read as well!

Thanks guys! Sounds like it won't be too long before Kynan's able to hear me then! Pretty exciting stuff

Pietta Guest

I think it is around 20 weeks but I cant be sure.

Ryley first startled at 25 weeks.

I was about 18/19wks when bubs got startled by the loud noises coming from our home entertainment system, it`s great when you realise they can start to hear noises.

Take Care

Deeanne

Yep, as is the general consensus (lol!) I think that it's from about 20 weeks.

Angel, i am nearly 23 weeks and Jackson starts kicking when DH gets home from work and wont stop talking because he is all hyped up! like father like son i think it will be a case of!

Debbie Lee Guest

Come to think of it, Little Nobba loves the sound of Daddy's voice too! Same as you, Min, bubs kicks a lot when Neil gets home from work and is telling me about his day.
    I can't remember how many weeks I was when it first happened, but bubs also loves to move around when I am watching DVD's. I guess because the sound has more bass with the surround sound (unlike regular TV and videos). I got some great kicks when I watched Spiderman 2!!

I always check out what FF says each week - there's a section about what your baby (& body) are up to...

Week 17
    He can probably hear by now as the ossicles (the bones that pass sound to the inner ear) have hardened and the portion of the brain that receives signals from the brain is under development. Your baby is getting used to the sound of your heartbeat and blood passing through the umbilical cord, but may be startled by loud noises. Your baby is aware of some things in the outside world, including sounds and light. If you let the sun shine on your belly, your baby may be able to perceive a warm red glow.
    We have been reading to Munchkin in the last few weeks & he absolutely loves it. Also at 20w we went to see the Queen musical We Will Rock You & I'm sure he was dancing to some of the songs LOL!!

Wow that's really interestingl! DH & I have some books that we'll be able to start reading to Kynan soon then!

Oh Angel, just checked a bit further on & FF says at 19w "Your baby can hear your voice and recognize it."

There's a really good book for reading to babes in utero too....

*hugs*
    Cailin

Cailin suggested the best book for us to read to Munchkin & he loves it It's a Dr Seuss "Oh The Places You'll Go." I would definately reccommend it.

That's the book that we've got too!! It's great isn't it!

Thanks for that info, Sarah!

Found all this interesting as just today my 7 year old asked me when could the baby hear and see, he has been using a toilet roll and yelling out wake up and are you ready to rumble and singing songs. And i have an advantage with story telling, my son has to read every night for school so he can do that for me, might encourage him to read more as well if he thinks the baby can hear him reading too.
    Also i remember when i was pregnant with my first one he hadnt moved about in awhile so i put headphones on my stomach and played AC/DC through it and he jumped a mile, maybe it was a bit loud lol, but i felt better