Thread: when u decide not to work anymore....

lucysmummie Guest

Default when u decide not to work anymore....

hey when u decide to stop working cause ur too fat or too tired or just too emotional to put up with all the :bs: all the customers give you do u start to get the fournightly maternity payment or is that only for after the bubby comes out????

Im sure u all have been there and done that so PLEASE let me know how u did it

Hi Shinee!

Im not too sure because this is all new to me too but i would imagine that you wouldnt get any sort of payments until after the baby is born. If you were to get it when you finished work then ill be leaving now!!

Please feel free to correct me if im wrong as i said, this is all new to me too!

Good luck shinee, i hope all is going well for you!!

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Shinee
    I am not aware of any fortnightly maternity payments before the baby is born .After birth you get the $3000 ($4000 after July 1st) baby bonus is not means tested but some other parental payments are - except if you are not working or earning income you get extra and this isn't means tested.

Check out the gov website it has it all explained.

Shinee there isn't any kind of paymant made untill you give birth. I wish there was though...

lucysmummie Guest

thanks for the replies! u would think u should get some sort of payment not working before the baby is born! I mean being so tired and gettin enough energy to sit at a desk all day and stuff! I just think its time to start living off one of our wages and hiding the money I earn in a safe place so i can use it when i stop working....

thanks again and SOOOOoooooooOOOOOo lovely to see you Dee my girl!!!

DoubleK Guest

i actually left my job just before i found out i was pregnant (i had a clash wioth the boss) so i went on a centrelink allowance while i looked for work so i could still pay my bills.. unfortunately i havent found any work, so im still getting a centrelink payment, which will change to a parenting payment after the baby is born (same amount of money, but is classed as a pension)

ASKJune02 Guest

My employer offers paid maternity leave at half-pay for 24 weeks, or full-pay for 12 weeks. From what I've found out, I'm pretty sure that most employers allow you to take paid maternity leave from 29 weeks on. If you're taking leave, chat to your boss and see what you can work out.

Centrelink does not pay out any parenting payments until after bub is born and you've lodged the papers.

Good luck with what you decide to do

Sharleen

My friend who use to work at my work left a month before she had her baby and went to centrelink who paid her fortnightly until the baby was born. I think she just had to give them a letter from work stating she'd stopped work for maternity leave and they then gave her a sort of Job Seek allowance. She didnt have to look for any jobs as others do because she gave a certificate from her doctor stating she wasnt fit for work. Talk to your local centrelink office because im sure alot of people are doing the same and can do so.

I don't think any payments apply

a) if you are paid maternity leave (until it runs out)
    b) if you have a husband who is working

A married/defacto couple's income is assessed as a whole and if low income (or variable) you might get some allowance but nothing if you husband is working and you have no other dependents.

A wife can't get unemployment or sickness benefits if her spouse works.So this would include pregnancy.

How could the government afford it - if we all just decided we didn't like working while pregnant and weren't job seeking.

Im not sure how the government affords it but they can afford to splash millions to other countries in crisis?

My father has a similar thing at the moment as he is not fit for work and not yet 65 to be elligable for the pension itself. Im not sure what they call it but it is the equivelant to Job Start Allowance. By suppying a doctor's note stating you are unfit for work (not just deciding you dont want to work anymore), you dont have to search for jobs to obtain the allowance.

My friend was a single mother at the time, but it would just depend on how much your partner earns, married or defacto, as to whether you are also entitled to it, otherwise how is one able to support themself if the can no longer physically fit to work prior to giving birth? :-k

Just my experience but centrelink was usless when i was pregnant. I was getting youth allowance but they said i had to look for a job while pregnant. Now who is going to employ a heavily pregnant woman i say?

Kellxx -Then it would be the case your friend to get an allowance if she was single (as I mentioned) but not in other cases where they are in live in relationship with a working partner/spouse. They get assistance if low income though. My friend did and health care card too.

Tegan - it is unbelievable what they expect some legitimate people to do to obtain money to live on isn't it.

Yet on radio last week they were planning on taking money away from Carers who give up jobs to care for relatives (children/adults) who were disabled/ill but give millions of $$$ (collectively) in parenting payments to millionaire wives (mothers only) who are SAHM.

Not that I have anything against them receiving it or being SAHM (though their family income is high and they can chose to stay home without financial hardship). It just doesn't seem fair for those who don't have a choice.

DoubleK Guest

i am still expected to look for work each fortnight (apparently up untill i have 6 weeks to go..) i even had to go to job search training, and see a case manager and write up action plans etc...

i was honset on all my plans.. questions such as 'where do you plan to be in 6 months time.. 12 months time..' i answered 'i plan to be a stay at home mum' not sure that is what they were after... but its the truth!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baby~amore`
    Kellxx -Then it would be the case your friend to get an allowance if she was single (as I mentioned) but not in other cases where they are in live in relationship with a working partner/spouse. They get assistance if low income though. My friend did and health care card too.
    Thats what i said, it would depend on what your partner earns.
    Infact she was living with the father until after the child's birth..
    Anyways its just a suggestion to those who are thinking about it to look into. If you can provide a doctor's note stating you are unfit for work, you dont have to look for work during your remaining months to obtain the allowance.. as both my friend and father have done.

Kell -yes as I said in place first place

I don't think any payments apply

a) if you are paid maternity leave (until it runs out)
    b) if you have a husband who is working

A married/defacto couple's income is assessed as a whole and if low income (or variable) you might get some allowance but nothing if you husband is working and you have no other dependents.
    You wrote
    My friend who use to work at my work left a month before she had her baby and went to centrelink who paid her fortnightly until the baby was born. I think she just had to give them a letter from work stating she'd stopped work for maternity leave and they then gave her a sort of Job Seek allowance. She didnt have to look for any jobs as others do because she gave a certificate from her doctor stating she wasnt fit for work. Talk to your local centrelink office because im sure alot of people are doing the same and can do so.
    Was she already a single mother ?
    My friend was a single mother at the time
    or was she pregnant ? I am a bit confused. If she was also living with her partner his income would have been assessed :-k -

Unfortunately, in Shinee (Leah's) case with a hard working DH (who she said earns 3 times as much as she does - she in in my BB group) - I don't think she would get anything unless he had low income. Also considering she still has 5 months to go - is young and healthy - it would be unlikely her DR would give her a certificate to say she is unfit to work.

I wish it was so easy - there would be lots of mothers ( & mums to be) on BB who would love to be SAHM and be paid by government to raise their kids. Or be paid whilst pg and not feeling up to working :sleeping:.

Those that want to work can but sadly too many have to with mortgages and just the cost of living.

They write how sad they are leaving bub at home with someone else even Dad /Grandma or the high cost of childcare and it hardly being worth working.

Rachy - they can't knock you for telling the truth - good on you. It is hard when pregnant and tired to be forced to work or find work .Like Tegan said - who wants to employ a pregnant lady :smt102.
    Goodluck in your new place. I read it somewhere else. Hope you get all the things you need soon.

I think the government should encourage more family assistance and tax relief so that mums who want to can stay home with their bubs/children. Also encourage employers to give longer or paid maternity (tax deductions) and extra unpaid leave for those who want it before and after baby is due.

It is unfair the government is planning on forcing single mothers back into workforce after the kids go to school or reduce $$$ assistance.

Baby~amore`.. im not getting into a fight with you as it seems thats what youre looking for. Good for you for saying it first.. i was mearly stating my own views on the subject when you seemed to jump on my back.
    She was living with the father but was going to be a single mother.. they werent seeing each other anymore. I dont know the fine details and how she was assessed as its not my story.. i was mearly giving some people who were curious, on what they could do to receive funds, an option that is out there they can investigate in and i know with this particular way it has been done.. end of story!

Oh dear sorry Kell you think I am trying to do anything to upset you -
    I just wanted to say that those payments apply only to a few cases. I didn't want Shinee (or others) thinking she could get something she can't in her situation as she has explained it and from other details she has posted elsewhere.

It wasn't that I said it first but what I said that applied to Shinee(Leah) who asked the question for help.

I was confused (really) if you were saying your friend was a single mother and got a payment or a just pregnant and got it.

Sometimes things that are written get taken the wrong way - sorry if you misunderstood my intentions.