Thread: White "firefly" type spots before eyes??

Question White "firefly" type spots before eyes??

Just wanting to know if anyone else gets bright white dancing kindoff firefly spots in front of their eyes?
    I have been getting them on rising from sitting or out of bed, and if I stand too long, I get them as well??
    Anyone know what they are?

lucysmummie Guest

Yeah i got them as well when preg. I was told that if my blood pressure wasnt too high or low it was fine... just take it easy, rest and drink plenty of water! xoxo

Hi,

Yes, for when you are getting them it sounds like your BP might be a bit low. Since you get them on sitting and standing.

I have also heard you can get them from low iron.

I had them when looking at the computer screen for an extended length of time. I was told they are a 'visual migraine' but I had no pain. It went away when I wasn't pg and I was told there was nothing to worry about.

I get them too. Have had for years. I don't know what causes it. It passes quite quickly, so I've never really worried about it.

Celsie. xoxox

i had them with my first pg, but i had very high Blood pressure.
    If ur bp is fine u shouldn't worry

I get them too on standing up quickly or when i turn my head too fast. I find they go away quickly. Try to be mindful of this when you stand or move your head around, i find the slower i do this the better and i don't get them. It has to do with your BP i think. If they persist and are there all the time you probably need to mention them to your dr just to be safe.

If the spots last for more than a a minute or so you should get checked out within the next day or so. If they only last for a few seconds then it would be worth mentioning it to your midwife/doctor at the next visit.

Just want to add if you have a headache with the spots tell your Dr/Midwife when you next see them.

I got white flickering spots in front of eyes, that lasted for about 15minutes when I was preg with DS....It scared the [email protected] out of me....I also felt very disorientated with it. It only happened once, and I mentioned it to my OB and he said, could be from low BP...He didnt seem as concerned as I thought he should have been.
    Hope you get an answer to it...Best of luck

It sounds as though it is related to blood pressure. If it happens when you stand up or move quickly from one position, its a change in you bp. Just take your time when standing up. I get it sometimes when I get out of bed, so instead of just getting straight up I sit on the edge of the bed for about 30 secs. My BP was fine though when i had an ob appointment last friday. If it worries you, go and get it checked out.

The white spots can be caused by a few things including blood pressure. They are called floaters the eye has a jelly like substance in the middle and when the pressure differs it leaves gaps in the pressure of the eye hence the floaters drifting in and out of your vision.
    Blood pressure can also be responsible for "flashing lights" this is alot more serious and can lead to a retinal detachment which in some circumstances the vision cannot be restored.
    If you have any symptoms please ask your doctor as a "silly question" may be all they need to check your BP and pinpoint a problem.
    Bec

Thanks for all the responses guys, they have been great!!
    I think that maybe i am just trying to rush things a bit much when getting up, as it takes a minute or so after rising for them to hit, and they last for a few minutes, so it is just as you have all suggested I think.

Fire Fly Guest

I dont get them but when i saw the post i thought 'oh someone wants me' Lol
    im pregnant i know.

I get them too lil i did with DS too, although my BP is fine i dont know what they are. I mainly get them when im in the shower and i look down. I think you should take things easy and not rush too much and if they persist/get worse seek medical advice!
    Jen