Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whooping cough vaccination

Default Whooping cough vaccination

I'm just wondering, do i need to get a whooping cough vaccination while i'm pregnant, or after Peanut's born??

I was reading a thing about this four month old little girl Dana who died from whooping cough and now i'm not sure i'm going to let anyone come within 30m of my baby unless they've been vaccinated.

Talk to your care provider about it if you dont htink you have had one.
    If you grew up in Victoria theres a high chance you were vaccinated as a child.

:yeahthat:

Hi,

I'm in the third trimester. My obstetrician said to get the booster vaccination after I have had the baby. I would have been vaccinated as a child but there is a booster shot available at no cost to parents and other care providers. My obstetrician said he wouldn't recommend getting the booster shot whilst pregnant.

But I would ask your dr.

Totally agree with familygirl. I asked my GP about it and I can't get one while pregnant, but was advised as soon as possible afterwards to get the shot. That goes for dads and other caregivers too.

yep, you have it when you have given birth. but they recommend the dad and grandparents to get it ASAP. in QLD it isnt free and it isnt under the PBS which sux. even if you had it as a child it tends to wear off after about 10 years or so, so there is the need for the booster shot.

We've just had ours. My OB/GP rang us & asked us to come in & have it done.

There is currently an epidemic going on in the North Coast of NSW, which is why there is a big drive on at the moment to vaccinate, in particular older adults and parents. The reason is that immunity to pertussis (the whooping cough bacteria) wanes over time.

That said, there are a few things to keep in mind. Whooping cough requires a period of close contact to spread - it isn't spread through casual contact and it won't spread from members of the public. It usually spreads through households because of the amount of close, intimate contact. Our paediatrician (the one we see of the girls, not the ones I work with ) has never seen a case with less than a few hours of close contact.

Having said that, it is also worth keeping in mind that the most infectious period of whooping cough is the first week, before the cough even starts. It starts with cold and flu-like symptoms, so it can be very hard to police contact in family members.

Best of luck with your decision.

Thanks so much girls.
    I'm getting DP, his parents and my parents to get the shot.
    Basically anyone who is going to be spending alot of time with Peanut.
    My little sisters and brother are 17, 10, 6, and 4. Should i talk to my mum about possibly getting their booster shots done too?

You could consider it with the 17 year old. The others are probably young enough to still have their immunity from their childhood courses.

Can you have it while breastfeeding?
    I just rang the local council and they dothem for $37 for adults, they said I can have it after I've had bub but they werent sure whether I could have it while breastfeeding and would call me back...
    So does anyone know?

Ok, so I am thinking I should get people in my family and DPs family to get the vaccine but don't want to appear like the overbearing new mum who hasn't even had the baby yet but is demanding that people get the vaccine... not that anyone will tell me that is what I am being to my face but I can see lots of raised eyebrows in my future if I were to mention that I think they should get the vaccine...

My questions are:
    * When should they have it to maximise their cover? Ie if they had it now would that be ok or should they leave it until later in the pregnancy?
    * lol what would be the most convincing way to tell them about this without sounding like the new mum to be who thinks she knows everything

Thanks in advance

I told DH he was having his as soon as he can be booked in. Im actually really nervous about the possbility of not being allowed to have it, becuase I've just realised I never had the dip-tet booster in high chool either, I was on ABs at the time and never had it, so I porbably have no immunity to any of them. I looked upthe GSK leaflet onthe boostrix vaccine, which is what our council use, and it says "seek medical advice" if breastfeeding as they cant say whether it passes in to breastmilk or not

Rayray, I had something in High School but I think it was just the rubella... will have to look for records. I hope that you can get some advice as to whether you can have it or not (but fingers crossed you can)

rayray - I just had mine done and my Dr knew that I am still BFing so I would say it is fine to have while BFing.

Thanks Bun

I would get your fam to have themdone now because it's actually free at the moment (in Syd) because of the epedemic, but only a limited number are avail for free.
    DH and I , MIL and my sister have all had our boosters. I asked about DD who's 10 and they said kids have a booster only at 15. (or when entering high school), it's routine so the 17 year old should've had it.
    xo

i just got my prescription and GP knows i am breastfeeding also. i was told it is effective as soon as it is injected so the sooner the better. i had to ask my mum and dad to get theirs done, i hated asking, felt like a real hypocondriac and they are old fashioned and didnt really want to get it done. they did though, but i still felt bad! now i gotta get DH's parents to get it before they come to visit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast