Thread: 28 weeks and not head down

Default 28 weeks and not head down

I had an OB appointment yesterday, everything looks great and the good news out of it was that I dont' have GD time time around

I had a scan and my baby is lying across my belly, he still hasn't gone head down yet. My daughter was head down from very early on, this is really bothering me. OB isn't worried, said he won't be until 36 weeks. "OK" I thought.
    But then when I did some digging of my own I discover that only about 20% of babies are still head up by this point. I don't find that very reassuring.

I know "in my head" there is still time but I've had this stupid, nagging feeling this pregnancy was going to end in a c-section since the beginning for no reason whatsoever so this is really bugging me I guess I'd really like to hear about anyone who's still been transverse or breech at this point and how things turned out.

Jenna was head up at her 26 or 30w appt, I can't remember which one, and head down at the next appt. I wouldn't stress too much about it until it gets closer to the date.
    Even if they do decide to book you in fora c/s at 38w, baby has every opportunity to turn before then, and if turned it will mean that they wont go ahead with the c/s.
    I'm sure it will be fine!

mooshie Guest

my dd was breech until the day before my 35 week appt, i actually felt her turning twas quite weird, once she went head down that is where she stayed thankfully as obs was going to discuss c section at 35wk appt if she was still breech.

try not to worry hopefully your baby boy will turn for you soon

skyelar Guest

My DD was transverse when labour started but turned & had a great delivery!
    This time around bubs is still transverse at 31 weeks I am not concerned as this is what happened last time too.
    Check out the spinning babies website but you have ages (like me) for bubs to turn!
    HTH

Kirsty77 Guest

Oh Flea I posted about this in the second tri forum not long ago as I to was worried! I am 27 wks now and bub is still breech and I must say I dont have a lot of confidence that bub is going to turn in time. Gemma was head down just about all the way through my pregnancy with her. I know we have heaps of time, but it does play on you mind!!

I know of a lot of people who's babies turned as late as 36 weeks, so there is hope yet
    One even turned on the night before the mum was scheduled to have a c/s for breech position!

My good friend's baby turned last week. She is due this week. There is nothing to be concerned about at this stage about your baby not being head down. You have plenty of time. If you are concerned, get hold of "Breechwise" by Maggie Banks. It is an excellent book and should be available at your library or alternatively you can order it.

Don't be stampeded into a caesarean for a breech baby until you have done your homework. Breech is not necessarily an indicator for a caesarean - it all depends on the knowledge and skill of your midwife and obstetrician. If you have a skilled midwife and obstetrician then a vaginal birth is well within possibility.

With very best wishes,

David

My bub was breech at 24 weeks, then transverse at 28 weeks then at 32 weeks he was head down.
    My OB wasn't concerned at all and said it's not unusual in subsquent PG's as there is more room for the bub to move around.

Thanks all for the reassurance.
    I know it probably sounds strange but if it weren't for this nagging feeling I have I honestly don't think this would be bothering me yet.

David - OB has said that he would be ok with letting me try a vaginal delivery if baby was bum first. But at this stage he is transverse and his feet are hanging down near my cervix....so a little bit more complicated

Matilda was on/off transverse until birth. And when I was induced, her head was down, but after 12 hours of labour she was trying to move back up & out of the cervix & wound up with her body changing places. Checkout the spinning babies website if you are concerned & maybe investigate acupuncture? There are a few articles on the main site & Kelly has put some information in before about breech bubs.

This time at 27 weeks my baby's head is up and feet are down, but I've decided not to worry there is heaps of time for this one to turn.

Hi Flea - i'm sure some of the girls on bb can recommend some exercises for u to do to assist bub with moving down, but it's also not that uncommon - supposedly bubs can change position at last min. Best of luck and "turn baby turn!"

skorpy Guest

Had a scan last week at 31 weeks and my baby is lying the same way as you Flea ,across.

Im sure they will turn when ready

Well I just wound up with a scan today and it looks like bubs moved from the last appointment and has gone from a breech position to transverse or sideways. So there is still plenty of time for movement , the OB has made a note to continue to check babies positions in the last month of pregnancy.

^LOL christy mine was breech at 24 week appt and moved to transverse at 28 as well....maybe they're just working their way around