Thread: 29weeks and 'dropped' already?

Default 29weeks and 'dropped' already?

Hi all
    Boy am I in a state!!
    I had an OB appt yesterday and was told bubs is a good size (30cms) and everything is normal. Bubs was lying with his head down and legs up. Later that night I attended my 'earlybird' class and while the physio was feeling for my RA muscle she asked me if anyone had told me that I have 'dropped'? I told her I am only 29 weeks and I don't realy want to hear anyone tell me that yet? What does this mean? I went straight home and read my book and it stated that 'dropping' is an indication that labour could be upto 4 weeks away. That is still way too early for me!! If the baby's head is facing down and I've dropped already is it likely that I will have an early labour. Don't see my ObGyn for another two weeks and I'm getting very nervous. I've still got 8 weeks of work to go yet and I'm not at all organised for the birth. Please help I'm going mad!!

mizzsocial Guest

I belive with 1st pregnancys, you drop a lot earlier.. I think i was about 32 weeks when i began to drop, and didnt have my son till 39.6 weeks..

I dont belive its an indication of labor being around the corner, if anything just means your baby is being a good boy/girl being in the right position (head down) and your body is just going with the flow..

Please dont stress about it...

Thanx mizzsocial
    I feel a little releived and have come to the conclusion that what will be will be. It's very difficult to understand how/why things happen when you have never experienced it before

This does not mean that you are going to have your baby in 4 weeks. Also are you sure that your physio knows how th tell if the baby is engage?

with my second bub i "dropped" about 27w, and i was induced about 37w, only due to his size. i dont think its an indicator of early labour, my first dropped at about 29w and he was induced at 42w!! to comfy...

debstar Guest

With my 1st I dropped at 28 weeks & I thought this was early & that bubs would be early. Well I didn't go into labour until 41w5d so I don't think it means much at all. This time I'm 30 weeks and haven't dropped yet!

I really don't think it's an indicator you'll have bub early, because with my first she engaged at only 28 weeks, yet i went 1 week over due and had to be induced.