Thread: 31 weeks, baby weight low???

Question 31 weeks, baby weight low???

Hi, my babys weight was reported to be 1700grams at 31 weeks on the 50th percentile. Does this mean anything to any one? Can he put on more weight in the next few weeks. Any feedback would be great.

Hi Ollie,

Your baby will put on more weight. Also with scans they can be out a litle so your baby might be bigger than you think.

Hey Ollie,
    I wouldn't try to read too much into it. As far as I know the 5oth percentile is good, means bubs is smack bang right on the average size for his age. But like Michelle said, scans can also be a little out, so he could be bigger than the results say. But just remember that the percentiles are only done on an average range. It takes smaller babies and bigger babies to create these average measurements, if that makes sense. So what I'm trying to say is, that all bubies are different and I'm sure your bubs is as happy and healthy as the next.
    BTW I'm jealous I wish I could get to see bubs again.

Mel,
    I think and this is an honest guess I have had about 8 scans with this pregnancy. It's great to see him but it's not so great as to way I have had that many scans. Thank you for making me feel better about his weight. I guess time will tell.

Yeah I know Ollie, I was just thinking yesterday I wonder how I could get to have another look at Jack before he arrives. But your definately right about the reasons to have the scans done, it's probably easier not having to have them done, even if it means you get to see them again. I'm sorry for making you feel a little upset, but I'm glad that I could make you feel a little better about his weight. My little girl was only 2.95kg when she was born, I don't know if Jack is going to be so small, not going by how much bigger I am with him than I was with her, anyway. It will be interesting to see just how big this little guy is going to be. I'm going to guess 3.6kg. What about you, care to take a guess on your bubba?

babies put on fat from around the 34 week mark i think, i wouldnt worry!

Hi Ollie
    1700g is about normal for 31 weeks. Why did you think your baby was small? If you want email me and I will send you a weight / length chart

Hi,
    Mel, you didnt make me feel bad, not at all. I hope Jack comes out just right. My son loves the name Jack and its his contribution to the names database.It's nice to have a name picked out already. As for baby weight I guess we'll wait and see.

Alan, Im not sure how to contact you but Ill try. My email is [email protected].

50th percentile means exactly average - neither large nor small.

mistiemoo Guest

Don't worry, I was told at 32 week scan that my baby boy is 1600grams and still in the 50 percentile. I have been told he will be small because his cord didn't form right and only has one artery. I have been reassured that this is fine and I'm not worried, at the end of the day I'm the one that has to push him out. Funny though his measurements read at about 2 weeks behind except for his head, it is on track, come on if I'm going to have a small baby you would think the painful part would be more cooperative.

My cousin was told all through her preg that her baby was a 'dangerously low birthweight"
    at almost 13lbs I can tell you they obviously had NFI!

Dont stress about anything coz you cant change it & force an unborn baby to gain weight!

Hi,

Mistiemoo- I guess you're right about the birth being a little easier. My first was 9p7o and that was no fun at all.

Tracey- There you go. I guess dr's can be wrong.

Thanks for the input.

LizzysMum Guest

With Eliza my Ob thought she was small and got another scan done at about 36 weeks. They said then smallish but OK and when she was born she was a healthy 3.3kg so really sometimes they just cannot tell.

They also told me I had a single vessel cord and it turned out I didn't.

REEZY Guest

I Asked At All My Ultrasound How Big They Were
    With My First Tol She Would Be 8lb And She Was 6lb 10oz

I Was 23wks And Told Lochie Was 690g When I Had Him At 30wks He Was 1690g Was Told If Went To Full Term He Would Have Been 9lb Had U/s Every Week And He Tended To Put On 110g To 130g A Week That Was With No Water

With Daughter Told She Was Small So They Wanted To Induce On My Due Date And She Was 8lb 4oz I Thanked The Dr For Inducing Me