Thread: 3rd Trimester Ultrasounds.

Default 3rd Trimester Ultrasounds.

Hi Ladies,

Does everyone have an ultrasound in the 3rd trimester, or just those pregnancies that are considered 'high risk' etc. or the specific clinic you attend.

I hear lots of mummies mentioning that they had an ultrasound which showed bubs engaged and how many cm's etc...but my Obs has not mentioned anything about having one.

Cheers

Silvi Guest

I'll be having an ultrasound tomorrow because my OB keeps saying Tyler is going to be a big boy...it's the first in my 3rd trimester...so it just might be for pregnancies that are 'high risk' or to see if bubs is larger...but not to sure as this is my first....and last for a while..lol

it is only if they want to check on bubs for a specific reason usually. I was 'high risk' in my last 2 pregnancies and had u/sounds every 2 wks from 30wks gestation.

Love

skorpy Guest

My first pregnancy ,I had the normal 2 Ultrasounds.... 12 weeks & 20 weeks,No problem but apart from abit of etc fluid which they were not worried about.

Second pregnancy I had Gestational Diabetes,so they had to keep on eye on the baby by ultrasound and I had one at 28 weeks because baby was big.

This pregnancy I had to have extra GTT test because of my previous Diabetes and my Final test at 31 weeks have come back clear,but even though it was clear and i was worried about how big i was still,the doctor said he would put me in for an Ultrasound to put my mind at rest...good job he did because they found i am carrying excess fluid again,but alot more then my first pregnancy and need to keep an eye on it because there COULD be risks.

So yes they only do Ultrasounds after 20 weeks,if they feel they need to keep an eye on the baby for lots of reasons:

Baby too small
    Baby too big
    Excess Fluid
    Not enough Fluid
    Gestational Diabetes
    Previous miscarrieges or abnormalities
    Placenta too low etc.

Thanks ladies,

Hey ChrissyT - the reason for me having the ultrasound was because I was overweight when I concieved and my OB cannot accurately feel the size of bubs so wished to send me for an ultrasound.

Hi I will only be having one if necessary, both my u/s had such different dates they have said that they will request one if my fundal height is off by 4-5 cms. HTH

Thanks for filling me in ladies Appreciate it.

I had a scan at 39 weeks to check the size... I had CTS and was swollen up heaps so he was checking how big he was.

I had one at 33 weeks as my fundal height was measuring about 4 weeks behind.. turns out bubs is a good size and just hiding well.

I must be one of the lucky ones getting 2 u/s in 3rd tri but not for a medical reason. I'm in a asthma in pregnancy study and get 2 free 3D scans, first one is next monday, can't wait!

Tegan, lucky you hun. Your going to love it.

I had a 3/4d scan when I was 31 weeks. It was my choice and I paid for it, but it was bloody awesome For me it was just to get that extra peek inside, oh and to triple check that she was still a girl

I had one at 32 weeks to check the position of my placenta.. it was low lying at my first US that I had at 20 weeks.

Kirsty77 Guest

I'm having one at 30wks because they could not see all of bubs face properly and because bub is breech.

I'm having one at 34 weeks for size and baby health......loking forward to it actually

I had one at 41w to check fluid levels, but I didn't get to see the screen I was pretty over it by then anyway so I really didn't care!
    A friend in my MG has been having them fortnightly as her daughter has a lung condition (kinda a tumour) that they are having to monitor the size of.
    If there is nothing wrong, I think all scans in 3rd tri are optional and therefor you dish up the dough! But Chrissy - if youa re keen for a 4D scan, there is nothing wrong with you requesting and paying for that scan!

MandyD Guest

Hey Chrissy I had one at 31wks with Hugabug as you know and that was my choice but with Hannah I had 1 at 34wk and then another at 37wks as I have high grade Placenta Previa and needed to be monitered. Hannah was engaged for the last one so it was very painful for me and ended up being an internal one.

Mandy
    xxx