Thread: Abdomen small for date?

leah Guest

Question Abdomen small for date?

Hi everyone!

I saw our GP and midwife a few days ago and they both agreed that my fundal height was 1-2 cm smaller. The midwife suggested to have an ultrasound scan to check if everything is just fine.

My GP though thinks that it is not much of a concern really because I'm a petite woman and my husband is neither a big person, not to mention that my siblings were all born between 5-6 lbs.

some people told me that probably the change in my baby's presentation could have contributed to a reduced fundal height. (note: baby was in transverse position in my last check-up 3 wks ago).

has anybody undergone a similar experience? We're really praying that nothing is wrong.

My fundal height was 22cm at my 24 week check-up. It was due to him being in a transverse position also. The doctor wasn't at all worried, as I feel kicks much higher than this, so she just put it down to his position and how I was laying etc at the time.

I was measured at 26cm at 29 weeks and all was fine - the ultrasound confirmed that baby was in the 40th percentile. The sonographer mentioned that she didn't know why people with my stature (slim) were sent in for u/s when it was obvious that I was just a small build. When I saw the ob the following week, he said pretty much the same thing. It's also to do with where the baby is as well, so try not to worry, although I know it's hard!

Leah

Measuring the fundal height is a very very inaccurate way to check how far advanced your pregnancy is. There are many things that influence the fundal height such as:-
    Position of the baby
    Amount of amniotic fluid
    Your position when being measured
    The accuracy of the person measuring
    If your baby has engaged

Try not to worry hun. I am sure that everything is fine

Hi!

My first bubba consistently measured behind (only 30cm when I was 34w!!) at 37 1/2 my dr decided to give me a fright and check with an u/s if everything was ok and bubba was healthy...even then the u/s put him at 3.2kg but I had him 4 days later and he was only 2.67kg - but healthy!
    This time around I measured ahead when I was 16w but now I'm starting to fall behind again...I'm only little though so I assume I'm just going to have little bubbas...

I was advised by my midwife that if the fundal height is only 1 or 2 cm's less than your number of weeks, they dont tend to be so worried because its not the most accurate measurement anyway.

I have also measured a couple cm's smaller, but they were not concerned about it. I am also a small person, and they did also explain to me that the measurement can differ depending on babys position.

Leah, I had the same thing at 28-29w pregnant (can't remember exactly when) - I was 5cm too small. I had a scan and guess what? The baby is fine. In fact, I am now freaking out about the huge head circumferance the baby had back then.

I was then told off a couple of weeks after that by another midwife for having a small bump. Stupid woman.

I was asked today when I'm due - when I said "last week" I don't think the poor woman asking believed me, the bump is still on the small side. But my baby is big and healthy, so I have given up caring what others say.

Just be happy - a smaller bump means less weight to lose later and you'll be back in normal clothes sooner.

MMM thats funny, All the way through this my mother has insisted I am small and today 2 people at work say that I am quite small, with only 8 weeks to go. I was getting offended, but now I dont care. I did measure behind last time I was at the midwife, I wonder how i will go next week?
    An I agree Ryn, the smaller you are, the less you have to loose Although I have only put on 100gms in the last 2 weeks, but my tummy is getting bigger (not much). Oh I dont know!!!
    Melissa

I think that the fundal height thing is a bit overrated too hun.
    Although i am the opposite, My measurements have all the way through been around 5cm or so ahead of weeks.
    I actually had the resident OB who is doing my caeser this week feel my belly,,, then measure it and say "my god, no wonder you are going to be glad to have this baby out!!" lol
    I know bubba is big,,,, but considering DH is 6ft 4 1/5,, and i am barely 5ft 5,,, I dont think that bubba will be like 11lb or anything,, just long. So I would take it with a grain of salt .

leah Guest

Thanks a lot everyone. Your words are all comforting. At this time, I have already stopped caring what other people think, for as long as Baby is as active as ever. We're still scheduled this Thursday for the u/s. just want to get this done and over with.