Thread: Accupuncture prior to birth...

Cool Accupuncture prior to birth...

Hi all...I had someone mention to me on the weekend that I should investigate having accupuncture approximately 4 weeks prior to my due date to help in readiness for the birth of Ramlet.

Has anyone had this done, what was the reasoning behind doing it and what were your experiences?

Also, can any of you recommend anyone in Brisbane? I live in the inner city southern suburbs.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what kind of acupuncture is being recommended to you here. I had acupuncture to bring on labour after my due date passed and nothing was happening. I wanted to avoid an induction, and the day after the acupuncture, my waters broke. Only problem was, nothing happened after that, so I ended up having an induction anyway! From what I've heard, this isn't uncommon.

So I wouldn't recommend acupuncture for bringing on labour. But there may be other reasons why you'd have it.

I've heard the same thing about using acupuncture to bring on labour - that it can cause your waters to break and then nothing else happens.

I was considering it if I went over my EDD again but have since reconsidered.

*crosses accupuncture off the list*

Thanks girls. I think I'll let it all happen on its own.

No no no, don't cross it off your list.

Acupuncture to help your body get ready for birth, not just for inducing labour!!!

Acupuncture is supposed to assist in oxytocin release which is great from preparing for birth. Also, helping you maintain energy and general well-being. I also found I slept better after a session of acupuncture.

I had acupuncture four about 5 weeks prior to my last baby arriving. I has a wonderful labour. I think that it came down to being well prepared mentally, acupuncture and chiro that I was having.

Thanks Kara...who did you have it done by? I noticed you're in Brisbane too.

Um, I can't remember, it was a local woman (I was living at Sherwood at the time) who had very good rates. Then I moved and she moved and I can't remember her name and I don't know where she went. Any registered acunpuncturist should be able to answer your questions and help you out (I think)

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

You just have to trust and have faith that your body is designed to labour, and it will when it's time to do so, when that babe of yours is ready! We get so hung up on that due date, which is just an average based on a 28 day cycle with ovulation on day 14, and only 3-5% chance that babe will be born on it's due date.

I have heard acupuncture is very good etc and I have recommended it in the past, but I have become sceptical since three of my clients had waters rupture after a session (one in the therapists waiting room!) and none of them got into established labour. Now apparently a good acupuncturist should be fine, but this one came well recommended too and I just worry. Why force a natural process when it likely will go perfectly fine on its own....
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

I never had acupuncture to induce labour, just help me relax and get all my juicy birthy hormones doing their thing in the weeks leading up to birthing.

I too am a believer that baby's come when their ready, and I personally wouldn't be doing acupuncture to induce before 41 and a half weeks.

I also had acupuncture - for the last 2 wks before I had Noah...
    I didnt have it for induction, I specificaly told the Chinese Dr that I didnt want to be induced but I used it to relax my muscles and prepare body for labour and recovery and the energy i would need etc etc - a good acupuncturist can go through these options for you - they use v diff points. They can also see you afterwards if you need help recovering (I didnt do this though - didnt feel i needed it)
    I had my bub at 39 weeks, 3 days before labour i was 3cm dilated (had not been in a lot of pain) and I had a short, drug free labour... my waters broke and i went into labour immediately (strong contractions 1 min apart!).
    I dont think you should cross it off your list - if you go to someone good and are specicif about what you want it for. I think this, together with yoga, swimming and a lot of positivity about the birth, helped me to have such a great experience. I think it also aided in a fast recovery (I did have a tear but felt great the whole way thru).
    This is just my experience but I would recommend it and will do it again next time.

I certainly don't want to have accupuncture to induce labour, I want that to happen on its own and when Ramlet and my body are good and ready to do the job.

I think I'll just rely on massage to relax and pamper myself and keep up the mild exercise that I'm doing.

ok best of luck and enjoy the masages - I also had one every 2 wks in preg and would KILL for one now!

Oooh...well, I'm getting one every fortnight too, thankfully my massage therapist comes to work and will come to my place as well. I spoke to her last week and said I'll use her at least weekly in December.

Hi there!

I did'nt have acupuncture, i actually had accupressure! I had an irritable uterus with my last pregnancy and was totally exhausted of the false labour by the time my DD was approaching. I'd tried almost everything to bring on labour naturally but nothing worked. So the day before my DD i had DP's aunty, who is a remedial massage therapist, to come and give me a good massage and some acupressure.

Well something must have worked cause i went into labour 7.30am the next morning. Colby was born at 2.44pm that afternoon! Not that i have tried acupuncture, but acupressure seems to do the trick!

In saying that, according to your ticker, you have a bit to go before you should start thinking about either!

hopefullysoon Guest

Default Hi there

In reply to Sara's post, I must say that I can relate to you completely. With the birth of my son 11yrs ago, I had an irritable uterus, resulting in an exhausting and torrid 3 - 4 weeks of pre labour before my son was born. I had lived in the vain hope that this was because he was in a posterior position, and never engaged (therefore never pressing down on my cervix to tickle things along). However, I am now 38weeks 1day pregnant with twins, and yep, I'm doing it again (sigh). So far I have had 3 full weeks of (hefty!!) pre labour, and I am a) anxious not get any more tired, and b) would really like to avoid a medical induction if possible (I know my ob isn't keen on me going much longer - the babies are both big now as it is, and room is becoming an issue). I have read quite a few posts here recommending not to have acupuncture for induction purposes, but have consistantly been told by a number of midwives of good success rates with it.
    Any suggestions?

Cheers hopefullysoon