Thread: Another big one!

Default Another big one!

Well i had a scan today and apparently bub weights 4lb 12oz and i'm only 30w3d! I know these things can be wrong but geez! Now i'm really scared at how big he will be. Thing is, i also got weighed today and i've lost 4kgs since my booking-in weight at 16 weeks. So why the heck is he a little fatty?!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I reckon it should be outlawed telling mums they have big babies! It just scares them for no reason! Don't worry Tegan, bubs will still grow but it does slow down towards the end - plus there is that element of error with ultrasound.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I got told last week at 35 weeks my baby is 5 pounds 2 oz. does that mean mine will be big too? how can they tell how much growth will be done in the last 5-10 weeks ... Tegan did they say what they estimate the weight to be when you give birth? How accurate are the scans? I agree Kelly I think it should be banned..

Don't stress about the size guys really... if I could have a dollar for how many times I have heard an estimate of a 9lb'er-10lber and out shoots a 6lb baby... ARGH! It's not what you got, it's what you do with it! E.g. read New Active Birth and find out how you can make 30% more space in your pelvis when giving birth!!! Lying flat on your back in bed is one of the worst thing you can do in labour!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I'm also with Kelly...it's not what mums need to hear!!! U'll be fine Tegan...bubs weight will prob slow down anyway

I have heard so many stories of women being told that their babies will be big and then when the babies are born they are within normal weight ranges. I think scan's can give you an "idea" but not super accurate. In the last few weeks weight gain is so varied depending on the baby and they go through so many growth spurts in the third trimester that it is hard to gauge how much more they will or will not grow.

I was just told at the scan last week that this baby was big and that she weighed over 4 pounds at 28 weeks. But then again I was told Matilda was a heavy baby at 8lb 15oz which is a pretty normal weight anyway...

In the induction article (link in sig) a midwife told of a mother with GD being induced due to macrosomia (big baby as a result of GD). First attempt induction failed. Next attempt it worked, baby so tiny it was close to cut off for admission to NICU. So much for macrosomia. The most important thing to remember is that no matter what size baby you have, it doesn't mean it's more mature. If your baby is bigger, doesn't mean it will be less prone to infection, breathing problems etc if born early due to size.
    Kelly xx

I agree that you need to remember that the weight is really just an estimate. Who can tell how much your baby is going to grow in the remainder of time?

Besides, not having had any yet, this is probably a bit of an ignorant assumption, people who have had babies of different weights will be able to tell you more accurately, but really, 7 pound or 9 pound, a baby is still a bigger thing squeezing through a smaller hole and how much difference will it really make?
    I would imagine things like baby's position, our birthing position and pain relief techniques would affect the pain/difficulty factor more than size?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, and of course, I may kick myself for typing all this if I happen to push out a 10 pounder

Tegan sweetie, please take what they say with a grain of salt, i was told at an ultrasound at 37weeks that Nick would be 10LB +, but when he was born, he was only
    7LB 13oz

I had a guestimate scan and was told it was likely that Charlie would be close to 11lb......utter BS!! He came out at 6lb 13oz........

skorpy Guest

It really is hard not to take notice when professionals tell you your baby is going to be big.You will always have it playing in the back of your mind..."will it be big,or wont it".
    They were right with me,but them i suppose having GD its obvious my baby would be big.

But they cant be 100% sure,so i agree that they shoudnt say anything,because it could bring unessassery stress and worry.

Yeah i really didn't want to know. I suppose i am more scared because Lily was 9lb7oz and had shoulder dystocia. Because of that there is a chance they'll want to induce me close to term, boo hoo!

I hope that you dont have to be induced Tegan. When speaking to my OB she gave me a guesstimate, she doesnt believe in exact weights, and adv me that the scan is accurate to within 15 % either way of the weight. She wouldnt tell me with my first, but has done this time. I think she understands that I understand that it is not a definant way of telling size. I think they like to do that after birth on the scales.

All the best.

Love

I agree with Kelly, I was told i was having a big baby, he was born at 39 weeks weighing 6 pound 14 oz. Not so big after all!!!

Tegan, you know my history with Olivia's shoulder distocia and Charlie's subsequent induction.....(I am pretty sure we chatted about this when you were first pregnant again.)

Just to let you know, I am looking huge in this pregnancy too, but have chatted at length with my OB about it, and regardless of the previous shoulder distocia, I am NOT having an induction this time, and I feel confident in that choice, as does my OB, thankfully........

As others have said try not to worry.
    With my DD I was given a weight estimate at 34 weeks which did turn out to be right.
    With this bub he was measured on the 95th percentile for all his major measurements at my 20 weeks scan and OB was saying he would be 9-9.5lbs.
    I had another measurement scan last week and now he thinks about 8lbs.
    He was either having a growth spurt at 20 weeks when he was measured or they have no idea LOL.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

It's weird that lots of women get told how big their babies are apparently going to be. Not once was I told that Jonah would be a certain size, my dr even told me that fundal height isn't even an accurate measure on size, it's simply a rough idea of where things are and how things are progressing etc. So yeah, don't worry about what you get told, nothing is ever set in stone as far as ultrasounds and the size of babies.

carls Guest

My friend is a great example of why you should not be worried. She was told her baby was 10lb and he was actually 6lb.

Massive difference and she was all worried that he would be enormous!!!

Alot of time they get it wrong!!