Thread: ANOTHER Strep B question

Default ANOTHER Strep B question

hi all

ive just come back from a checkup where i found out i tested positive for strep B
    as usual , ive read too much ...and i realized that it could even be fatal for the newborn if not treated
    im REALLY paranoid that i wont make it to the labour ward in time to get the antibiotics your meant to get 4 hours before birth... i told the midwife this, and she said that if that happens they will put a tube down into the babies tummy and take some tests... umm... now im dreading labour even more , actually I want a cesarean , i KNOW that heaps of women have tested positive and most babies are born with no problems , and i KNOW a natural birth is the way I should be thinking , but ...thats not what i want now ..
    So if there's anyone out there in bellybelly land who tested positive what was your experience??

I am Step B positive. It sound dreadful and scary but don't forget that what they tell you is worse case scenario. As you said, a lot of women are positive and very rarely any problems occur.

My first pregnancy I was induced at 39wks 2 days and so there was no problem with me getting the anitbiotics in time. My local GP had also given me anitbiotics as soon as she discovered that I was positive (29 wks). I was aware that there wasn't much point in this as it could return later and therefore they always give you them during labour.

My first daughter was born by C-section at 39 wks 1 day and so there was no problem there.
    When I had my second daughter my waters broke the day before her due date. I had been told that because I am Strep B positive that if this happened I was to phone the hospital, tell them my waters had broken and that I was SBP and they would get me in straight away. That's what happened. As I hadn't started having contractions by the time I arrived, they started to induce me (not wanting to give any time for any infection to occur) and administered the antibiotics at the same time. Grace was born just after midnight on her due date with no complications and an easy vaginal birth after a previous C-section.

I hope this helps to put your mind at ease. Take care and all the best.
    Debbie

Thanks for that info ,
    Its like you say - they give you the worst case scenario , but when you combine that with my pregnancy hormones - you get paranoia.. I think i'll stop checking google and trust the doctors at the hospital - I'll also mention it to anyone and everyone when im in labour - just in case

I understand that you may be concerned about testing positive to group B strep and not getting the antibiotics in time but dont be.
    Group B strep is very common and yes even though there is a chance that your baby may become ill if you dont get the antibiotics in time it is very slim.
    I am a midwife and I have cared for many women who have had group B strep and some have been treated with antibiotics and some havent and I have not seen any problems with either.
    The little tube they put in the babys belly goes in through the mouth to the stomach where we withdraw a little fluid to send to the lab, we also take a long cotton bud and wipe that in the babys ear (not in the ear canal) and we send that off as well.
    We dont routinely test for group b strep anymore, we only treat the women who have had previous positive group b strep, we just monitor the babys temperature, and send the samples to the lab.
    I really dont think this should be a reason to choose to have a ceasarean section as it is very rare to get a undesirable outcome.
    Ultimately the decision is yours but dont let this decision be made just because you have tested positive to group b strep.