Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antenatal Classes

i thought it was funny :-s

Must admit that I had thought about not going since I had read so much on the subject!
    But then I thought that DP would probably get something out of it anyway, so we both went along.
    The 1st class ( even for him) was stuff that I already knew and had mentioned to DP beforehand.
    The second class was a little better since it was mainly about once baby was home.
    Would I go again? - no I'd spend the money else where.
    But if you dont go once you just dont know if you missed out on anything.
    Really depends on how much homework you've done along the way.

Carol

wow Carol did you have to pay? Ours was free...I don't think we would have gone if we had to spend $$

Ours is $20 if you have a health card, $100 if not. If you got in and paid before Oct 1 it was $60 before the price hike. So lovely me gave Deb the heads up, and we both managed to get it for a goodish price.
    If at the end of it I can say I learnt about 30mins and wasted about 4 nights, I still think its worth it to a certain extent. It will certainly make the whole thing feel far, far more real and about to happen!!
    Maybe things will get better Sarah?

Christy - Yes, we had 2 pay! Ours was $200 over a W/end at 4 hrs each day. But we can claim some of it back on our hth ins.
    So it'll be interesting to see how much of it we get back!

I`ve just booked in to do my Antenatal Clases today, I don`t start until 10th March, it`s for 4 classes each Thursday night between 6pm and 9pm. It will be costing us $105 I think we get some back from NIB. It`s being run at the Private Hospital by a very good Midwife who has 5 children of her own, she was highly recommened to us by both my OB and his midwife, she doesn`t show too many videos and it`s more hands on, so should be good.

Take Care

Deeanne

I thought it was funny too min!!

We had to pay as well, $50 for 1 intro class & 6 normal classes - the intro class was optional.

Next class is tonight, so will let you all know how it goes.

We had our second class last night. The first night was just about labour and when to come into hospital. Last night was what could go wrong and what sort of drugs you could get. We watched a video which just upset everyone. Even the good example was still traumatic. DH kept on telling me that the baby's head looked like a klingon because of the big ridge on the top.

We had our second class on Tuesday which was a little more interestign than the first one. Not too keen on our midwife / teacher though. It was kinda annoying her saying "when I was pregnant ...." considering her sons are 14 & 19!

We first met everyone in our group (7 couples) and split into boys / girls groups & had to answer "How has my partner changed since the pregnancy?" and "What fears do you have for birth & immediately afterward?" All of the girls pretty well had the same answers!

Then the midwife spoke about the first stage of labour for the rest of the night. IE when is it labour compared to Braxton Hicks, when it's considered premature labour (term labour is between 37 - 42 weeks). And generally about what happens in first stage of labour.

The only major thing I learnt was that while babies are quieter leading up to birth because there isn't much room left they are supposed to still be active (punching & kicking). I had thought that if they were really quiet that it was normal, apparently not!

Next week we are doing our session on relaxtion for birth with the physio. We've been told to take pillows with us, so should be interesting

DH and I are starting our antenatal classes on Thursday night, 2 hours every week for 5 weeks and it's costing us $100.

I think it will be good, I too am like Fi and want to get to know the midwives... and other couple around the same time as me, my g/f is the only other person(besides you girls) I know that is pregnant and she lives in Queensland!

I am looking forward to the classes for DH's sake as well... as well as my own info.

Class number 3 - total waste of effort. We all stood around outside our room for 20mins before making the group decision to leave. Very cranky now.

Sorry to hear Sarah - hopefully No 4 will be OK?? Did the whole class leave? That is terrible! Someone should complain......

Yup we Fi, we all left together. We decided if one was going to go, we all should.

I rang today & was sent all round the hospital before getting to the message bank of the right person. She called back & apologised saying that the booking clerk booked our class in, told the midwife & all the "students" but not the physio. Problem was that the class last night was supposed to be run by the physio. Stupid hey?! So now we have 5 classes after Christmas rather than the 4 we had expected.

We have had two antenatal classes and they have been great. The first one we had though, was on a 37 degree day and the air conditioning hadn't been on in that part of the hospital that we were in (who knows why?) so there we were, 10 pregnant women and their partners in a sticking hot room - I have never been so hot in my life. They gave us plenty of water but it was luke warm - yuck!

Apart from this, they have been really informative and the midwife taking them has been great. The best part is that we got to meet couples that are a couple of weeks due around us - the only ones I know are you girls and my gf in Brisbane! It was good to chat to women that were going to the same ob as me and also had horror of ob's before their new one - glad to know I wasn't the only in the same situation.

We toured the labour delivery room and the midwife told us to make it ours when we are there as it is important for us to be comfortable in our surroundings - I thought that was nice. She also said that if we were ever unhappy with our choice of midwife when we were there, to speak to the midwife-in-charge and don't put up with anything. Not that is likely to happen but some people just don't get on with some people. So I've met two midwives from that hospital and I have been really happy with both of them.

Also, at our 2nd class, she bought along a doppler and gel and we all got to hear our baby's heart beat!

Looking forward to our last 3.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12