Thread: Anterior placenta & caesareans

Default Anterior placenta & caesareans

I guess this one is best aimed at Alan, or any ladies that have had anertior placenta's

I was watching the last episode of saving babies, and there was a lady on there who had placenta praevia so was having a c/s. When they started c/s they realised that the placenta was right where the c/s incision needed to be made, so obviously had to be extremely careful not to knick or rupture the placenta in any way, and explained how it could cause massive bleeding etc.

So, just wondered what would be the case with an anterior placenta (which mine is) Due to having a VBAC there is always the possibility that it may end in c/s, in which case would my placenta be lying where the c/s incision needs to be? I haven't discussed this with my Doc yet because I wasn't really aware of it until I saw that show, I have a scan in a couple of weeks to rule out placenta acretia, so I assume this scan would also give indication as to whether there could be any problems with performing a c/s.

Hi Min, I'm sure someone who really knows will hop on and answer soon, but i just wanted to point out the difference between a placenta which is anterior and low (p.praevia) and one that is anterior but positioned high up in the uterus. I would think that it would only be a problem if your placenta was sitting very low down.

HTH

For an anterior placenta to be a complication with your possible c/s it would have to be quite low where they make the incision. Have a look on your pregnancy card it could say the location and position of your placenta.
    The best thing would be to run it by your doctor.

OH, Ok, I wasn't sure where the placenta normally sits, so I guess it usually attaches quite high up then. Dan, I don't have a pregnancy card, didn't have one with Jackson either, they don't use them at our hospital, or other hospitals in our area that I am aware of. As I said I am having a scan in a couple of weeks, so that will tell me where placenta is lying. Doesn't sound as ominous as I thought though, thanks for the replies.

Min, I had an anterior placenta with Tehya and she was my VBAC. As far as I know the only thing they were midly concerned with was if it stuck where my scar was. I also asked one of the Dr's at the hospital about it and he told me "they were very experienced and knew what they were doing!!" LOL. HEaps of comfort there. Not that i planned on birthing Tehya in the hospital anyway. Just thought that I would ask them in case any complications occured.

I should add that I had a totally natural 3rd stage, my placenta was birthed about 45 mintues after Tehya. No more bleeding than normal and no issues whatsoever.

I had an AP with my son and had an emergency c/s.
    I did ask OB about this exact question when I found out my placenta was anterior and he said that it generally is not a problem because it's usually high enough that it's not near the incision (which is made very low - around the top of your pubic hairline).
    He said if there was any doubt they would do an u/s in the OR to double check where it was.
    When I ended up with the caesar though it was fine and well out of the way.

I had a suprise anterior placenta with Eliza it was only noticed when they made the incision. It is always nice to hear the assistant to the Ob say..I have never seen that before and my Obst saying congratulations to me because I was truely one of his highest risk patients . After transfusions I was fine ...alittle pasty and it took a few days to recover, I was lucky to have an ob that knew his stuff and really I only thought once that I am going to die after finally being a mother. Bub was fine just had alot of blood on her that looked spurty from the placental vessel.
    Bec