Thread: Antibiotics?

Default Antibiotics?

I have been fighting a cold and sore throat for about a week, which doesn't seem to be getting any better no matter what i take, and have been putting off going to the dr's, i've finally made an appointment today, but my question is, will the gp be able to give me any antibiotics or anything to fight this? or is it worthless going? I'm 34 weeks pg. thanks for your help, sorry if its a silly question.
    EDIT: sorry its mainly the sore throat i am worried about

Last edited by klee; April 15th, 2008 at 09:57 AM.

I'm not really sure that there is anything they can give you for a cold, or flu during pregnancy. I know though there are natural cold and flu tablets which you can buy over the counter at the chemist which might help.

Hi Klee
    If it is just a cold that is causing your sore throat then antibiotics will not help. The common cold is caused by a virus and antibiotics will not have any effect on a virus. If the sore throat is caused by an infection then antibiotics can help. Most antibiotics are fine when pregnant but I would still ask your doctor if it is ok to take any drugs that he/she may give you

Thanks Jodi and Alan, i guess the next question would be, would the dr know the difference then between whether its an infection or virus? the sore throat started first, then came the cough, cough is starting to go, but throat still sore, and now one of my ribs is also sore, not sure if this could be from too much coughing. and I've also been waking up at night sweating even if just wearing a singlet. would it take longer to fight a virus if its just a cold being pregnant? hope that makes sense, my head is a bit fuzzy

to you. I'm just getting over a cold myself... horrible things they are! My little man had a throat infection and croup last week, and yes the doctor seemed to be able to tell with his throat that it was an infection. So, it seems that maybe they can tell. I hope you feel better soon.

Hi Klee
    Yes usually they can tell if is is viral or not. And if they are not sure then often they will give you antibiotics just in case.

thank alan and ozzie - that was probably a silly question by me. off to see dr soon.

There is no such thing as a silly question. If it is in your mind it needs to be asked

thanks so much Alan and for being so kind, turns out its an infection, tonsils and throat are quite inflamed, she's given me amoxil to take, i asked both her and the pharmacist and they both said its fine to take whilst pregnant.

Yes amoxil is fine and a good choice for a sore throat.
    You can also use a mouthwash and/or gargle with salt water.