Thread: Anyone else getting a 3rd trimester U/S??

mizzsocial Guest

Default Anyone else getting a 3rd trimester U/S??

At my 18 week ultrasound, they detected slight dialated kidneys, therefore i have to go back and get them re-accessed at 30 weeks..

I booked a u/s for the 3rd April, then ill be 30 weeks and 1 day.. i really hope everything is normal??

Anyone else needed to get another u/s for something to be checked?

From 30 wks I had 5 ultrasounds with Kameron. He actually stopped growing and they had to keep checking fluid levels and placenta etc. I had the same thing happen with Lachlan and had quite a few scans from 30 wks.

Love

i am having a series of growth scans due to Gestational Diabetes i had my first one yesterday and then one every week as far as i know at this stage

I am really really hoping for another one! Just feeling really anxious and it seems like so long ago that we saw bubba that I really want some reassuring that he/she is growing nicely according to plan

I am having one at 34 weeks for the same reason as you. Dialated kidneys...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I really want some reassuring that he/she is growing nicely according to plan
    Susan_22 - Having a third tri ultrasound will only make you more anxious then! Scans in the third trimester are very innacurate for size, as you need to remember, their machines work on mathematics calculating averages, but in the third trimester, baby's own unique genes take over and will likely be bigger or smaller than those computer averages. People come in all shapes and sizes, as do healthy babies, so it's important not to get worried about size in the third trimester unless there is an underlying medical condition effecting baby's health.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I got to have one yesterday because they thought bubs was breech although very brief it was great to see my little man again all grown up last time it was hard to make out his face etc but not this time he is a biggin only wish I got to have a print out of the image

mizzsocial Guest

Quote Originally Posted by emishka
    I am having one at 34 weeks for the same reason as you. Dialated kidneys...
    Can i ask how come you have to wait till you are 34 weeks??
    I thought i had to wait till then too, but my OB told me anytime in the 3rd trimester is fine??

I hope im not going too early..

I had to have a scan at 34 weeks because my placenta was low at the 18 week scan. Everything was good, placenta had moved up. It was nice to see bub again, but it was very brief and baby's head was turned towards my back.

Since my baby is breech, everytime I have gone to the hospital they have brought out the portable ultrasound machine..(It's like a lap top). They check very quickly though and I can never see anything on the screen when I am laying down.

Cheers
    Cathy

I had one at 36 weeks to check my placenta. The scan man took a few measurements - supposedly my baby is a gaint!! We couldn't see the face because it was quite low.

When I was pregnant with Charlie I had an an ultrasound at around 35 weeks as it was suspected that my baby was "huge" and the scan calculations reckoned he would turn out to be an 11lber.

Based on this info (and the fact that Olivia presented with shoulder distocia during her birth) I opted for an induction.

Never again!

I have no issues with 3rd tri scans, but if it is about size predictions/a prompter to induce, I would avoid one, all the hocus pocus given by the calculations re size: to my mind it is just a crock! (Charlie was born at 6lb 13oz, so in no way was he huge at all: the calculations were, quite simply, wrong.)

I had one at 32wks as GP felt she was a bit small for her size. U/S showed she was right on track and when she was born at 7 pounds 10 ounces; I hardly think she was 'small' for a newborn.

That said, I did find the U/S reassuring.

DoubleK Guest

i am having an ultrasound on Tuesday (i'll be 32 weeks) its by choice, i have no medical need for it.. other than wanting to see our baby on the screen again!

Lee33 Guest

Ive had to have regular u/s's due to a hernia I have on my stomach that makes it impossible for my GP to palpate my belly to check on baby's growth.
    I am 35 weeks now, and so far I have 2 more u/s to go, possibly one more. It is reassuring to know baby is doing OK, but if it wasnt for my hernia, I wouldnt be having these u/s's.

Lucy and BellyBelly, it is nice to know that the u/s measurements could be wrong! So far, we have been told baby is going to be quite big, at 33 weeks was already weighing in at 2.9kgs!! So I wouldnt at all mind if baby has a smaller birth weight than the 3.9kg they are predicting!!