Thread: Anyone else using the Epi-no?

Renaee Guest

Default Anyone else using the Epi-no?

Hi,

I am 39 weeks on Wed and have just purchased the Epi-No last week - wondering if anyone else has experience with this product. ( a blow up balloon to stretch the vagina and perenium). I would really like to discuss 'techniques' with others and ensure I am using it correctly and getting the most out of it.

I am not trying to promote this product!! - just want to discuss its use with others.

I am wondering if I am inserting it too far, and also the instructions conflict as to whether to use it once or twice a day and for how long.

Thanks if you can help,

Renaee.
    Last edited by Lea13; February 8th, 2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Removing link as not allowed.

kiki Guest

I have one and have used it for both my pregnancy's from 28 weeks. It says not to use it that early but there is no way it can stimulate labour, it's just a legal thing, so I just went for it!!! I never really knew how far to put it in either, I just used to put it in about half way then pump it a bit more each day. I would then leave it in for about 20mins before pushing it out. I did find it was hard to keep in though, I had to hold it with my hand and there wasn't so much "pushing" it out than letting it fly out at 100 miles an hour across the room!!!! All in all though a fantastic little thing that i would recommend to anyone. It really got me ready for the burning feeling when the head comes out and i've had an intact peri both times yeh!!!

Renaee Guest

Thanks Kiki,

I wish I had of come across it earlier as well, as now I only have a week or 2 to 3 at the most to go. It says to put it in 2/3rds of the way, but I have just about been putting in the whole thing and blowing it up. So far I have only got to 7cm each time after about five days of use, and I have only left it in 10 minutes.

When it comes to pushing it out, b/c it is up further I really have to push really hard and kind of pant to get it out, then it slips out and I get that sting around the entrance of the vagina and perenium as I imagine it does feel.

Do you think it is more worthwhile to have it inserted in less, like you do, so it is the entrance and the perenium that is getting stretched more? I find that this mean there is less of that feeling of anal pressure and a greater feeling of stinging if I do this, and you are right, if you do it that way you literally have to hold it in place the whole time, or it will come out on its own.

Maybe I will up my sessions to 10 minutes of each method.

Also, I thought that they recommended only using it in the last 3 weeks becuase the hormones that stretch the vagina and surrounds are at their peak at this time, but if you managed to use it so early, then it must be doable.

As you can see I am getting so close to my due date now and really desperate to ensure that I am as prepared as possible!

Thanks for your input, will take it on board.

Renaee - ps, still keen to hear of anyone elses experiences.

Renaee - you can check out an article on the Cochrane database that does review of all the scientific studies about PM including by things like the Epi-no and using your own fingers. The title of the article is "Antenatal perineal massage for reducing perineal trauma" by Beckmann MM, and Garret AJ. If you google this you should find it. It suggests that 1.5 per week is better than every day.

Renaee Guest

Thanks Kar - have had a good read of this, massage is still reccomended as well.
    R.

Hi Renaee,
    I am using epi-no too - I know what you mean by how far to put it in, sometimes I have to almost cross my legs to keep it in because it just pops out some days, but I think it's definitely worthwhile, I have only managed to get it up to 8cms though after using it for 3 weeks, but am still trying - I am due any day now so still using it - I think I will be better prepared than if I hadn't used it at all.

I think you are supposed to put it in up to the dip in the balloon and blow it up from there - but have had it in further and that does increase the pressure on the inside, I think both ways is helpful for knowing what that feels like so you don't tense up as much in labour.

Good luck with it and with your birth too

Renaee Guest

Default Blood using epi-no?

I have just tried calling my birth centre but they are engaged at the moment so thought I would post now while I wait to speak to the midwife.

Kistend and others - have you had any blood/bleeding while using the Epi-no? I had some yesterday and have just done it now and have had blood again. I followed the epi-no use with what I thought was a fairly gently perineum massage, just stretching a bit so i feel that stinging sensation slightly, then I took my hands out to have a look and they were covered in some quite bright red blood.

Am a bit concerned about this, am i doing some damage to the tissue or could this even be a show? I am not due for about 8 to 9 days. I think most likely I have just tared a bit internally from yesterday, and now have made the same spot bleed again.

Any input greatly appreciated.
    Renaee.

sounds like a take, why would you need this product???:eek:

Renaee Guest

Thanks Fletch,
    Yeah spoke to midwife and she said as the blood was not mucous like at all it was most likely just a small tear. She recommended giving epi-no a rest for a couple of days and then start again more gradually.

I guess I was just a bit eager to get things happening. But it kinda defeats the purpose if I end up tearing tissue before hand so I am going to take it a bit easier with it now.

Very excited as I am approaching the birth - even though cautious I can't wait!

Cheers - Renaee.

kiki Guest

Joh T maybe you would like to do the research before posting hurtful comments. The advantages of the epi no speak for themselves- a 60% reduction in perineal trauma and 20 minutes less of pushing time on average. I admire Renaee for empowering herself and being prepared for her labour instead of going into labour like a lamb to the slaughter. I would be very interested to know if you've need stiches?????
    Good luck Renaee I'm thinking of you and wishing you a beautiful birth.