Thread: Anyone taking psyllium husks?

Default Anyone taking psyllium husks?

A nurse recommended that I take psyllium husks to help with my constipation problem (I know I'm in the third trimester now!)
    When I was in the line up at the health food store a sweet elderly lady saw the packet in my hand and told me that she wasn't sure if I should be taking it because I'm pregnant. Is anyone else taking it? I'm pretty sure it would be safe because a nurse recommended it.

I put them in my smoothie if that's all I'm having for breakfast rather than cereal. I can't think of any reason why they'd be any sort of issue when you're pg.

Totally fine during pregnancy.........it is a totally natural fibre.........I take it every day and took it religiously through all 3 of my pregnancies.......no problem at all.........both of my OB's have suggested it too.........

I used to take psyllium ages ago quickly sculled down with some water or juice before they'd get that delightful slimey coating! I don't know that I took it long enough or in a great enough quantity to make any difference to my guts but I don't know how it could hurt. It's not a laxative as such but a soluble fibre suppliment.

My midwife recommended it to me as I'm on extra iron and that slows me right down! I sprinkle it on my cereal.

I'm finding mandarins are working well and I'm much more regular since eating 2-3 per day.

Thanks everyone.

I tried it this morning in a cool glass of water- it tasted a bit odd so will try it on my cereal tomorrow!

I used psyllium while pg (and still use it now). It is good in orange juice if you want to give that a go, seeing as orange juice is pretty fibrous anyway.