Thread: Babies born at 35 weeks .....

Default Babies born at 35 weeks .....

Hello. I am currently having tightenings/contractions at 35 weeks. I also went into pre-term labour 4 weeks ago at 31 weeks but they managed to stop labour with high doses of Nifedipene which I am still on until tonight at which time I'm assuming my contractions will progress into real labour (only time will tell).

Has anyone delivered at 35 weeks and if so:

1. What did their baby weigh
    2. Did their baby have to go into a Special Care Nursery or did they get to keep their baby in their room with them?

My Ob hasnt given me any indication of bubs current weight other than he/she will be of average size (between 3.3 - 3.6 kg) at full term.

Thanks!

Not sure if you will get to read this or not. Recently in our belly buddies group we have had 2 girls go into pre term labour and birth their babies.

Both quite different in sizes.

Sofia was born weighing in at 1.8kgs. (she has only just come home after 3 weeks)
    And Kayla was born weighing 7pound 14oz. Or around 3kgs I think. (is still in scn, i think)

Also just yesterday another girl had her baby at 36 weeks and she weighed 6 pound 12oz. (scn too GD bub) So as you can see it really can varey.

I wish you well and hope that bub has a safe arrival for you.

hi tonydayl, my first was born at exactly 35 weeks after my waters broke and i went into labour. he weighed 2.5kgs. he did not need breathing assistance but spent the first few days in an incubator to regulate his temperature and oxygen levels. all up he spent 7 days in special care. the main problem was breastfeeding as he didnt have the suck reflex so had to be tube fed for the first few days as well. he also got jaundice so spent some time under the phototherapy lights.
    all in all he did really well and was allowed to go home after he was taking all his feeds from the breast or bottle. at first they told me he would need two weeks in special care but he did so well this quickly dwindled to 7 days. once home, he did really well with the breastfeeding and we only had one trip back to the gp with concern about the jaundice but all was fine.
    it took him longer to smile etc than full term babies (he smiled at 11 weeks) but other than that all his developmental milestones were pretty much on track after those first few months and he is now a bossy, clever three year old.
    a friend of mine had two babies at 34 weeks. i think her first weighed 2 kgs and spent 3 weeks in special care - no oxygen required. her second i think was 2.3kgs and only had a week in special care - again no oxygen required.
    the magic milestone seems to be about 33/34weeks and once you get past that point if the babies arrive early, there seem to be far less complications etc.
    i wish you all the best.
    beccas

Hun i cant offer any advice but I do wish you and bubs all the very best.
    Hope things so smoothly for you.
    Thinking of you.
    xo

Thank you everyone so much for your stories and thoughts. Bubs got a boost of steroids when I went into pre-term labour at 31 weeks so hopefully this has boosted his/her growth a little. This little bub is determined to enter the world !!!

Rufalina - I wish you all the best on your journey too. Almost at the 12 week mark !!! How very exciting for you both.

Hi,

Kimberley was born at 35wks 4days and weighed 4lb 13oz. She was in special care for a week. She never had any problems when born.

Blake was born at 36 weeks weighing 6lb5oz or 2.87kg. He had jaundice, feeding issues, and was in the SCN for 7 days.

ETA: Also, I had GD hence his nice size.

My bestie's DS was born at 35 weeks - 6lb1oz and he spent two weeks in the SCN, mainly because he had great difficulty getting his sucking reflex happening. This is common as it usually kicks in around 35/36 weeks apparently.

My DD was born at 36w2d - she was 7lb3oz, went to special care for about 12 hours for observation (there were a few other reasons for that though - really long labour, GD, and I got a fever at the end so they just wanted to watch her).
    Day 2 she was back in the room with me and on day 3 we went home, no dramas at all.

All the best hope your bub stays put for you a bit longer.

Hi,
    My Twins were born 34wks 5 days and Jordan weighed 5p10oz and Xavier was 4pound 12 oz. They were in special care for 5 days and came home on day 6.

All the best

This is something that I've been wondering about too. I feel as though there's no more expanding that my body can do because this little...ahem...big one seems huuuge. Bigger than my first in fact, but I seem to be measuring correctly fundal height-wise. People keep saying I must be due shortly...I wonder if I might explode?

Thanks for bringing this up Tonydayl, it's very valid.

Hiya. Try not to worry to much about it, every body and every baby is different. Natalie was born 5 weeks early after i didn't feel her move all day, went in for a check up and had an emergency cesear due to a non reassuring heart rate. She weighed 2.6 kgs and was in special care for 12 days. Her lungs werent mature enough to begin with, then they got better and so did her breathing then we had to establish breastfeeding. It's a process. The time spent in special care (if your baby needs to go there) depends on there needs and progression. Some babies are only there for 24 hours, some huge, some tiny. Natalie is doing so well, i forget she was born early and had complications so don't worry too much about it

When my DD was in SCN there was alittle boy in there born at 35 weeks and he had all sorts of probs but he seemed to bounce back from them really quickly,. The main thing was his breathing I think. He was on CPAP for a few days then about a week later he was in an open cot. He was out of there before me and DD got to come home.

Hope everything goes well for you. The steroid shot will definately help. I had 4 from about 26 weeks to 31 and DD had no probs when born she just had to fatten up a bit. In total we spent 5 weeks in hossie.