Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Kicks

Default Baby Kicks

Hi girls,

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a 'right' amount of kicks I should be feeling (I am just going into 3rd tri this week).

I know pregnancy is different for everyone, but I would like to know roughly how often bubs should be kicking now.

Thanks in advance!

Jess

Hey Jess.

You can do a kick count. This is where you pick an hour that bubs kicks most and record how many kicks s/he does in that hour. Bubs should do at least 10 kicks in the hour. If less, try another hour and record. You should see your doctor if bubs hasn't kicks up to 10 times in the 2 hours.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Thanks Tegan, that does seem like a lot of kicks, but I guess they do add up.

Is it normal for bubs to kick a lot at a certain part of the day (morning for me), and then not at all at night? I find most days bubs will kick all day on and off at work, then he will go really quiet at night, somtimes I wont feel a kick at all.

Jess

Yeah thats pretty normal. I mean they do have to sleep sometime lol. Bubs probably kicks while you are sleeping, so you might not feel it. My bubs usually kicks when i wake up and when i go to bed mostly. and just a few kicks here and there during the day.

Tegan, kicking sounds similar to my bubs. Its all so exciting isn't it!

I have had a bit of a 'lull' lately with everything in general. I think it has a lot to do with being a very impatient person! I cant put my feelings into words, but I just feel like there is so long to go even though it has flown by, but on the other hand it is so nerve-racking thinking of child birth and its confusing to think that is something I am actually looking forward to (not the pain but the baby afterwards!) I constantly worry that bubs is going to be late (and therefore my sister wont get to see him as she leaves for Europe on the 20th of December) and I see how the girls in 3rd tri are so emotional when their bubs is well overdue (with good reason!!!!) and it worries me as I feel like I am sure my bubs will be overdue too - maybe just because I feel like it is never going to really happen? I think I would be an absolute mess if I had to wait much longer than the 40 weeks so I admire girls like Pee who have been able to hang in there. Sorry, blubbering aren't I, I am just enjoying getting these thoughts off my chest, its something no one else would understand except the BellyBelly girls.

Anyway, how are you?!

Jess

Jess

When i was pregnant with Kimebrley i never felt her at all. Even when i was having a u/s done they asked if i could feel it as she was moving and kicking but no.

Jess - I'm feeling super tired atm. I wish i had my energy like i did in 2nd tri. I'm also feeling the same way you are. Feel like this baby is never going to come, excited and nervous. Yet i don't want bubs to come early coz then my best friend will miss it as she will be coming back from schoolies 4 days before my due date and she doesnt want to miss it! I'm also a very impatiant person. I hate running late and not getting things done. I have 12 weeks and 5 days to go and i feel like it will never get here, yet at the same time i feel like it's coming too soon coz we haven't even got the nursery started yet! Which is a bit impossible at the moment coz of our house renovations.

Tatty - Your pregnancy sounds similar to my mum's re. the baby kicks. She never felt me kick at all, just kinda pushing on her tummy, like i was walking across it or something. Hence why she doesnt understand why i get worried if i don't feel many kicks!

Tegan

The only thing Kimberley did was at about 30 weeks was dance on my pelvis or that's what it felt like. She just did not want to turn and never did.

Tegan, I must admit I am getting tireder by the day too. And Friday at work after lunch I was sitting at my desk feeling so uncomfortable (always after I eat I feel really 'heavy', it was such a yuk feeling I just wanted to go and lie down but had too much work to do. Then again over the weekend all I could do was clean and renovate etc. But I am finding I no longer look forward to going to bed as I can never sleep. I toss and turn and always wake up thinking about the baby. Last night was the worst, I had the wierdest (grossest but wont go into detail as its too gross) dream and I would wake up so often feeling wide awake. Poor DH I feel sorry for him, I am almost tempted to sleep in the spare room, it probably would be better for both of us.
    I guess we just have to learn to cope with all the symptoms and cross our fingers bubs will come exactly on time, not earlier, not later!

Tatty, that is interesting to know, I guess you can never stress about anything until you see your doctor!

Jess

lilyd Guest

Hi Jess

My baby(a girl) kicks almost constantly, whereas my son hardly kicked at all, drinking something really cold, lying on your left side or laying flat on your back (not for long) is supposed to move baby around, and of course the kick chart, sometimes we are busy and just don't notice them.
    I have about 10 weeks to go and if I don't stop having constant nightmares (horrendous) I am going to collapse, it's bad enough not being able to get confortable and taking 4 goes to roll over, let alone the bad dreams as well. That's my whinge for today.
    Take care
    Kylie

Pietta Guest

Hi Jess,
    With regard to kicking I was/am on a fetal movement monitor where as if i dont feel 10 movements by 5 p.m. then i should be worried. To be honest with you I have not really had consistent kicking the whole way through the pregnancy but Ryley is fine atm- (just not budgin!!)

Dont worry too much and the periods of rest and play seem to be very normal. I can go a whole day without feeling a movement and then at like 5 o'clock i will feel 10 so it is ok. Try and drink a glass of lemonade or some icey water if you are worried coz this inspires them to move.

Hope this helps!! (Thanks for the saying about the overdue thing but really i dont have much of a choice!! )

The funniest thing happened today while at the OB. While I was waiting for my next blood test, there was another p/g woman in the CTG room and was being monitored. When the heart beat of the baby could be heard, Snowmonkey woke up and started bouncing around inside. It almost felt like he was trying to come out and play with the other baby. It made me laugh. It was so cute!

Snowy

Snowgirl. That sounds soooo cute!

My lil girl has just started playing games with her daddy. Before he'd put his hand on my tummy to feel the kicks....she'd stop. Now he pushes in a lil and she kicks him straight back and he has a good laugh. He blows razzberries on my tummy (she ignores it) but when he starts kissing my tummy she kicks him fair back. She wakes up and moves more when she can hear his voice. She's already a daddy'e girl! I think it's great that they are bonding already when she's still in my tummy.

Oh that is very cute!! Snowmonkey is ignoring his father so far.... he still stops when DH puts his hand on my belly.. it's so weird! I sometimes have so much movement going on but when I pull up my top and go "Look" to DH, he stops... he did see the belly shake in the waiting room though... otherwise he'd probably think I'm making it all up! lol

Snowy,
    My lil girl does that too sometimes. It's amazing how they seem to know when they are being watched isn't it? *L* I'm sure DH must think I over react sometimes cause when she kicks hard I jump, but when he feels them they're only the smaller ones. He hasn't seen the tummy stick out a million millimeters yet because as u said, everytime I get a hard kick and go to show him, she quietens down. But I am just happy he gets to feel even some of the movements and that when they play games, I see his smile and it is just so beautiful. I can't wait to see him holding her now.

carmen Guest

Hello

I find that I can have lots of movement but as soon as I say to DH, put your hand there it stops.

I have said that I hope he has that soothing effect when baby is born LOL.

Carmen

Yep, I'm getting that too...bub will be kicking around madly, and as soon as I get DH to put his hand there to feel, he stops. DH, bless him, has taken this to mean that the baby knows that daddy's there and this calms him right down...hmmm!

Haha, same for me too. But DH seems to expect the kicks to be wild and strong, I am constantly reminding him bubs is no longer than 30cm and only weighs about 1kg. It is so cute though, when he does feel the kicks, which isn't often as like the your bubs he stops when daddy gets close, his eyes light up and I can tell he is sooooooooo happy, even if his little man is a weakling - not for long though! I am 6ft tall so my boy is bound to be taller than me, they say all sons are taller than their mothers.

Jess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast