Thread: Baby Movements - how much is enough??

Default Baby Movements - how much is enough??

Hey there All

Just when I thought that I was finally at that time to relax and have nothing to worry about (yeah right) - it just dawned on me this morning - HOW MUCH SHOULD MY LITTLE POPPET BE MOVING?? :-s

I've felt sensation for weeks now but all of sudden I'm not sure if it is really enough - some days I feel more and then other days I definitely feel less.....

However I am wondering at what point do you start to count the movements - i read somewhere that from week 28 you should be able to relax and comfortably feel approx. 10 movements in 10 minutes - mind you it also mentioned should you feel a dramatic lessening in movement you should seek medical attention - WHAT IS DRAMATIC??? NONE??

Anyway - just thought I'd throw this one into the conversation - I know I'm probably being ridiculous but I'm just wondering how everyone else is travelling??

Thanks

Dianna

Dianna, yep in the early days i too did not feel bubs every day and not frequently either. My OB did say that from out 26 weeks onwards, i should be able to feel it daily, which i did. Im now about 33 weeks and boy am i feeling this baby, at this stage there is no doubt in feeling it or not.

But yes i agree, its hard not to worry about whats normal or not, especially if its your first pregnancy of which it is for me

Oh I know exactly how you guys felt!

I started feeling this bubs from about 11 wks, and every day Seth is quiet, but at night he perks up. And EVERY day I worry "I hope he's ok" I'm not far along enough that we can play games like I did with Paris. With Paris I used to rub into one side of my belly and she'd stick her bottom right into my hand it was sooo cute (scan's confirmed it was her bottom ). Whereas I am only 16 weeks and the movement or lack there of is driving me nuts! I didn't feel anything till about 17-18 wks with Paris so its silly of me to worry but I can't help it. I keep saying to myself I'll keep a journal because I think I honestly forget sometimes that he has moved during the day or evening but I always forget to do that!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Count me in too!!! I was feeling at least three movements/flutters/bubbles a day from about 14 weeks and then a week and a half ago they stopped. I try to concentrate so hard to feel something but i am sure i can't. I think it should be ok as my bb's are sore again and i am having what i suspect to be growing/stretching pains in my stomach and my lower back is sore which i tend to see as stretching also. I am just going to hold out for my 18-20 week scan (4 oct) so only a week and a half away to check all is still ok. But yes i agree i am feeling far to paranoid i think as i don't have any other sypmtoms to indicate any problems. So .

Take care kas

My understanding is that at different points in your pregnancy your bubs may move to a new position. If before bubs was low and in the front; you might feel the movement a lot more frequently than if the bubs is sitting towards your back more.

*L* Well at least I know that 10 movements in 10 mins is supposedly normal! hehe Maddy is active for 90% of the day but sometimes it honestly feels like she's having a seizure in there!

Hey Bekibee

do you remember at what point this became really obvious to you - or did it just start at 20weeks and continue that way??

I first remember starting to feel movement around 17wks, a light fluttering. My GP was dubious considering it's our first bub, but when I went for the U/S the sonographer said he'd believe it taking into account which way the bubs was lying in my uterus.

It became really noticable kicks around 20wks. On the occasional day, Maddy is quite quiet, which admittedly does freak me out a little; but mostly she is just really active. I've just been told that everybody is different; in how you carry the baby and your body shape - thus we all feel the baby differently. I've never really carried any weight around my waist/belly, and was really sick for 10wks. Because the baby was forward in my belly, it wasn't suprising that I could feel her 'early'.

In one of the books I read though, you really only need to be concerned if you don't feel movement more than 10 times in like a 12hr period.

Whenever Yasin was a bit quiet and I got worried I used to drink something icy cold or have some ice cream and then lie down for a while. Having a cold drink poured over him made him start wriggling every time 8-[ I always felt relieved and just a little bit guilty for waking him up. If you're busy its likely that even if bubs is moving as much you're too pre-occupied to notice.

That's it then - I've been running around like a headless chook.....so busy no time to go to the loo let alone count baby movements #-o

I'm going to go home tonight put my feet up and have a icy cold drink - maybe a thick shake with all the trimmings - admitedly I do feel the baby move around quite a bit - it's more a matter of how often - I'm probably being silly (like usual - at this rate I'll be very prepared and knowledgable for my second pregnancy ) but seeing this is my first bubba I'm so anxious and it's hard to believe that I am so attached and excited about meeting my little friend that I have the whole protective instinct already :hbeat: - I'm sure that you will all agree - It's a mother thing....

Anyway -I'll spend the weekend counting \/ - in between Kitchen Teas and 30th Birthdays

Hugs

Di xxx

di - hope you feel those movements tonight with the cold drink. it probably has been that if you have been super busy, bub has just been moving at the same time as you!! it always is a relief though to feel some movement, although i seem to have quite long periods of none, then heaps!!! (10 movements every 10 minutes - OMG!!! whos baby is that!!! 8-[ )

Linda

*L* Linda - that would be MY baby that moves that many times in 10mins. She is seriously active 90% of the day. Just my luck - I read they are supposed to sleep 90-95% of the day; so how did I get the bub that didn't read the literature?!

I've only just begun to feel movement earlier this week and it is still very infrequent. I was told that not feeling anything up until about 23 weeks wasn't uncommon in 1st pregnancies so I wouldn't worry too much just yet.

For the kick counts if you feel 10 movements in an hour then your baby is most likely just fine! If in that hour you do not feel 10 movements then go for another hour, if within those 2 hours you don't feel more then 10 movements then you should contact your OB/GYN. Babies do go for long periods where they don't move much or at all, so your should do the kick count at the time of day that they are most active. For me this was at night as soon as i layed down to go to bed!

I don't know where you got the 10 movements in 10 minutes from - they have to sleep sometimes! I have 2 books which both say that if you can feel 10 movements over a 12 hour period it's fine, and that even a flutter counts as a movement... Mine doesn't move at all between about 6am and 11 am, but then makes up for it over the rest of the day. Just be greatful that you're not getting bashed in the ribs or kidneys!! #-o

I had to go to the hospital to be monitored at 29 weeks, because I hadn't felt any movements in about 15 hours...mind you I'd been calling them after I'd had none for about 4-5, and they kept telling me to drink cold things, sit still etc.

Anyway, as soon as they hooked me up to a monitor the baby puts on a gymnastics floorshow!

I asked 3 different midwives how often I should feel movement, because I'd read about 10 movements every 2 hours, and they said that this was complete crap, as long as there's 10 movements in 24 hours there's generally nothing to worry about.

I must say I am a lot more concious of it now though, and tend to try to feel movement every few hours..

Hi there All

After posting on Friday my little bubba has been jumping arouund like a little mexican jumping bean - to the point now where I have given him/her (DH covered my eyes at the ultrasound, so i wouldn't peek :-# and find out the sex ) a new nick name - it is now officially known as "Poppit".

Thanks again for all the feedback - I think the 10movements in 24hours is a good call especially since I move around so much daily that I'm sure I rock this little baby to sleep O - here's hoping that works in 18 weeks.

Although having said this I'm going to post another thread on Branxton Hicks.....just wondering what they feel like and when they start :-s

Thanks again - i love this site it's so helpful and reassuring

Dianna