Thread: Back ache question

Default Back ache question

Hello ladies!
    Just wondering if anyone knows whether having a lot of pre-labour back ache indicates a lot of back labour coming up - ie. posterior baby. I can't remember being this sore with my first, and she was definitely the right way, and so I am curious if that is why this one feels different.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

I am not sure of the medical facts, but in my experience with Olivia and Charlie I had the worst back ache with Olivia (posteria baby) and no backache with Charlie (anterior baby). So I guess there could be something in it?

With Olivia the backache started at about 37 weeks and she finally made her way into the world at 41 weeks.....so I had a month of shocking back pain.....then whilst in actual labour with her my labour pains where all around the back of my hips. (With Charlie it was all round the front, but his was a quick labour, so it doesn't stick in my mind as being as painful!)

HTH!

Kirsty77 Guest

I had really bad back pain also and found out that Gemma was posterior during labour!It could well do have something to do with it #-o

I had a OP baby too - and the back labour was awful. Although according to my Health Nurse, not all OP babies are back labourish if that makes sense?? Although the woman is an idiot, so maybe dont rely on her too much!
    Your midwife should be able to tell if the baby is OP I think. I'm sure mine knew after an internal during my induction.
    Maybe do some crouching on all fours to help with the pain? I spent alot of time on a fitball rolling around to try and ease my back pain in those last few weeks.
    Fi

Hi Mama of 2
    Yes It is an indication that your baby may be posterior. To help him move into a better position try spending 20 mins a day on hands and knees.

Alan (Midwife)

Thanks for the replies everyone! I will be trying to spend a little time on hands and knees, just in case. Hopefully this little one decides to come as easily as his/her big sister! She was only 7 hours of labour from start to finish, with no tearing, and while it was certainly no picnic, I know most women have a much harder, longer first delivery.