Thread: Back pain - any ideas???

Default Back pain - any ideas???

Just needing to vent about the incredible lower back pain i've been getting. I know it's all very normal and that it makes complete sense as my ligaments are stretching and i'm carrying all my baby weight low in the front. But GGRRRRRRR - i'm just over it already and i'm still a few days off reaching the 3rd trimester. I had a lot of back pain when preg with Ella but can't rember it being so intense. Perhaps it makes it worse that i'm bending down/lifting/carrying her around too.

I have warm baths (not too warm though ), use a heat pack/hot water bottle, DH gives me nightly back rubs - what else works? And i've got a body pillow to assist with different sleeping positions but still find geting any kind of decent sleep impossible.

I know i'm able to take panadol but don't like to and will only take them as a last resort.

I know i'm being a big, emotional, pregnant sook right now but i'm just frustrated cause i think i have a pretty high pain tolerance and am just OVER IT! Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks

Rae, My lower back has been pretty sore too, and the other night at my MW apt she told me it was all normal too. But, then again, I'm due this Saturday. The only things that I found to help at all was to walk around, or lean on the kitchen bench and sort of rock side to side with my feet shoulder width apart, and to keep my lower back warm. You're allowed to be a big, emotional, pregnant sook as much as you like. Maybe some gentle stretches or exercises for your back might help? Would help strengthen it, and keep everything in pretty much the right place. Sorry, probably not much help there.

Hey, I used to fill up a hot water bottle and sit down watching t.v with it on my lower back. Did the job for a while. lol. I'd find I was good in the morning but by around 4pm my back was killing me. I also used to do what Netix mentioned, Lean on the kitchen bench with legs apart and rock, don't know why but it works.

Thanks girls - well looks like i'll be trying the rocking thing while i cook dinner tonight! PMSL - my DH is gonna think i'm mad...or busting to go to the loo or something

Hope it works! Hey, at least you'll get in some rocking practice for when you go into labour!

Rae
    Hot packs can help. Also try this .... get on your hands and knees, curl your back like a cat IUKWIM. You caund also get hubby (when you are on hands and knees) to put his hands low down on your back, at the top of your bum, moveing hi hands a little while pressing down quite hard

Taia's Mum Guest

Hi Rae,

I know what you mean!!! I do what Alan suggested and it works for me!! I havent' had any major pain in a few days but when I do that's the only thing to reduce it!!

Goodluck babe

Rae - I also found that if DH puts his hands on my hips and pushes in, it really helps too. I have also used a physio pregnancy belt with this pregnancy, and it helps quite a bit, especially when I am doing housework, or cooking when I have to stand for a while.

Rae, the only thing that helps mine is a Chiropractor, whom works with preg women!!! With Indah he became my best mate from 25ish wks on wards!

Babushka Doll Guest

Aw.. Rae Sweetie, hope your feeling better soon. Can you have a massage done or something? Maybe some physio?
    Let us know how you go - Back pain is just awful.

X

dawnatello12 Guest

heating pad and i have been seeing a massage therapist every other week and a chiro about one every 10 day

Rae, we must be twins or something luv!! Just today I have started getting lower back pain ( I got it with Jack, but it seems worse this time too!!)
    So I completely understand what you are on about and you are not a big sook at all, it just sux....
    I'll let you know if I find anything to help...
    XOXOXOXO Big hugs to you babe!!

Oh Rae, you poor thing. I haven't had it yet this pregnancy (cross fingers) but what used to help me was lying on my back on a hard surface and pulling my knees up toward my chin, and then rolling side to side so my back was getting a massage by the floor. I'm not sure on what they say is good with lying like that at 27ish weeks, but they used to say it was fine. The rocking thing is great also, also what Alan said. My babies like to lie posterior in the last weeks and during labour, and those exercises really helped the pain.

I have a wheat heat pack which is my best friend also for many things. 3 mins in the microwave and it's ready, also moulds to whatever surface. I find it great for lower back pain. And yes, get DH to rub you whenever he can, even if it just gives you relief while he's doing it.

I hope you feel better soon hun.

Alex, I hope yours doesn't kick in now too ...maybe it's something you girl's ate the other night!

Thanks heaps everyone! Alan - that's a great suggestion - i'll be trying that out.

Paul just found the wheat pack i used throughout Ella's preg that i've been searching high and low for. He was cute actually and had pulled out the microwave then calls out "Babe you are gonna love me forever - i've found something that's worth more than a million dollars to you right now!!!" I go into the kitchen and see my 'belly bear" (what my niece named it as i always had it wrapped over my tummy or back last preg...it's in the shape of a bear). Ahhh i used it last night and already felt some relief.