Thread: belly dropping

Default belly dropping

Just want to know does every ones belly drop? this is my first baby but my belly hasnt dropped. i have carried low but now the slope of my belly has changed and is lower at the front and i need to go to the bath room more is this my dropping?

Yes it could be. Most of the time it is not really that noticeable to look at, but you can feel that you have because you might not feel as uncomfortable under the ribs, and like you say, you need to go to the toilet a lot more. It's all to do with the baby engaging and moving further down into the pelvis, which can make your belly look lower or different.

I only ever 'dropped' with my second baby, and I think it was because she was the shortest of the three and she didn't take up as much room IYKWIM?

It sounds like it might be.
    I didn't really noticed mine dropped, it happened about a week before. I only knew because my husband kept telling me, and also people at work kept saying it as well. Other people noticed it but I didn't!

I'm too short to drop, if I dropped my babies would be on the ground!! hee hee

But sounds like there's movement at the station!!!!!

Good luck...

Fee Guest

Sounds like bubs has engaged. I didn't notice too much of a difference with my belly but I did notice I was going to the toilet a lot more and that I could breathe easier. Then at my 36 week appointment my OB confirmed that my baby was engaged.

My belly never dropped , always looked the same - I just waited for each hospital appointment to see if baby was engaged or not. Right to the end of my pregnancy it was hard to breath , and i had shocking heartburn. So it seems she was high up all the time.
    During my last visit the baby was only slightly engaged , my belly hadnt dropped , and I gave birth the next night!

Silvi Guest

My belly now looks like the shape of an upside down egg...very uncomfortable walking cause there's alot of pressure downstairs...

Hi Chantal
    Not all babies drop before birth. Some babies do not engage until your labour is well advanced. Some of the signs that your baby has dropped are:-
    It is easier to breathe, You want to pee more often, You feel more pressure in your vagina and sometimes in your bowel.

skorpy Guest

Hmmmm maybe i have engaged then,but itsnt it early for me at 31 weeks...I have just put this in another post,but seeings you are a midwife Alan it would be great for a reply from a professional

I get this cracking feeling in my pubic bone area when turning in bed during the night and it hurts too,sometimes i actually hear it crack too.I also went for a walk yesterday and i felt i had to hold up my lower abdomen as i felt heavy,and now during the night,i have lost count how many times i need to visit the bathroom.

Hi Skorpy
    For the past few weeks your body has been releasing a hormone called relaxin. This hormone causes the joints in your body to loosen in preparation for birth. One common thing that women often notice is a feeling of their legs not fitting into the hips properly.
    Another common problem is what you have. Your pubic bone is actually two bones joined in the middle. This joint has been loosened by the hormone relaxin. When you move these bones rub together causing the pain. There is no real treatment for this except perhaps panadol. When turning over in bed try to do it slowly and in stages if possible.

skorpy Guest

Thankyou for replying,ill bare that in mind