Thread: Berocca - Ok to take or Not

Red face Berocca - Ok to take or Not

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about taking berocca - i am 24 weeks 4 days and we have a few socail functions coming up and i just cant make it throuigh the night anymore...... i need something to help me and was wondering if you can take berocca safely at this stage of the pregnancy - i have read some things saying that its not a good idea to take in first trimester, but not sure about taking it now... will it make the baby go hyper aswell ?

Go to safefetus.com and look up berrocca it gives a good overview of it it states:

"The doses of Vit. B1, B2, B6, B12, C, nicotinamide and pantothenic acid are above the recommended dietary allowance in pregnancy.

No adequate human data, reported possible association between high doses of Vit C and anencephaly and infantile scurvy, of Vit. B1 and anencephaly, of vit B6 and phocomelia and infantile convulsions.

No data for biotin in pregnancy.

The dose of calcium is within the RDA in pregnancy, unknown RDA for magnesium, both minerals should be avoided in the first trimester because of possible teratogenicity, but safe in the second and third trimesters if chronic high doses are avoided.

Chronic ingestion of magnesium may cause neonatal hypermagnesemia, drowsiness, respiratory distress, CVS impairment and decreased muscle tone."

The other week when I was very sick and couldn't eat much i had half a tablet, my doc said half a tablet no more than 3 times a week is fine as its just the magnesium that's the problem in first trimester (which is where I am)

Hope that helps

yeah that where i got the info from in the first place.... so if i have maybe 1 on sat night that might not be to bad.... there is so much you cant have etc it gets confusing - but i also dont want to risk hurting my little man.....

Thanks

nimchimpsky Guest

I would try to avoid it if you can - very high amounts of certain vitamins can have adverse effects on the developing fetus.

Could you try to find a more natural energy-booster?

Fresh fruit juice loaded with natural sugars perhaps?

Are you taking a pregnancy multi-vitamin and/or iron supplement?