Thread: Birthing Positions

Default Birthing Positions

Hi All

I understand all the reasonings behind trying to give birth standing up, on all 4's etc as opposed to lying down on a bed and trying to "push uphill". But for my DD, even though I had a relatively short labour by the time it came time to push adn get down to business I was just soooo tired that I could barely stand so ended up giving birth in the bed.

The whole birth experience initself was a great one, even though I did end up with a tear but are there any recommendations from anyone about what to do once you get towards the end and all you want to do is lie down?????

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Gabysmum - I often try and help mums find an 'on' and 'off' position. 'On' during contractions being upright and able to make the most of the contraction, then 'off' being resting, snoozing through the contraction if possible.

If you are up on the bed, have the head up 45 degrees and lean over the head of the bed. It's still upright but you can rest well that way. If you are on a birth ball, sit on it and lean over the bed with some pillows when you are 'off' then when you have a contraction get up...

You might also consider a doula / birth attendant to help keep you motivated to have an active birth - sometimes I cop it at the time but they are always grateful afterwards Read 'New Active Birth' by Janet Balaskas to get some great ideas on everything birth related including active birthing positions designed to help open that pelvis.

Another important thing you can do is conserve your energy in early labour, don't play it up, play it down and eat small, light meals but choose some carbs for lasting energy... drink plenty of water and sports drinks are fine too. If labour starts at night, try and get as much sleep as you can. I don't think many women can actually do this due to excitement, but if you can get rest then, you will have more energy later. I remember the last birth I attended, we completely didn't expect for mum to go into labour that night - we had gone out for a coffee and dessert and ended up chatting until 12am. Of course I got an sms a couple of hours later... we were buggered!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

mizzsocial Guest

Im like you.. when i was giving birth i had no energy to even tun sideways on the bed, let alone stand up!!

I loved when they pushed the bed up, so i was sitting upright then i would rest my head and body when the contraction stopped..

I had Angus up on all 4's but supported by a stack of pillows under my torso and head. It was really quite effortless being in that possy.

Thanks for all that info. I am going to take it all on board and I think may do what Kelly suggested, and find an "off" position to help me. I am really committed this time around to not giving birth lying on the bed and have convinced my DH that it is the way to go. Like many men he thinks that the only way to give birth is lying flat but he has agreed to go with the flow and see what happens. Nice to know he is supportive! Although he has said that if I ask him 3 times to lie one the bed he is going to let me, but not before I've asked 3 times!!!!

I know i probably wont care when i am in labour but beeen thinking about the "on all fours" position and just a little unsure about it.

Sammy j- so as soon as baby is out did you turn and sit so he could go on your chest? Are you naked or have a gown on?
    I understand the gracvty side of it i just don't like the fact of having my bum up in the doctors face! (again i know he gets all the pretty stuff in his face anyway!)

nickers, I birthed Seth leaning over the head of the bed (on my knees) so basically my bottom was in everyones faces and it really doesn't matter or occur to you at the time. I was completely naked and after seth was born I reached under and picked him up and held him to my chest. Then Marc held him whilst I turned carefully as the cord was still attatched, then I held him again on my chest. It was the most amazing feeling, I'm getting all teary just thinking about it. I was glad to be naked too... I know that sounds strange but with how messy it gets and the fact I got skin to skin instantly it was better that way.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Thanks for sharing your experience Cailin, it does sound really special and that you actually picked up him wow... did you plan to give birth like this or at the time was what felt best for you?