Thread: bottles /sterilisers

yvette Guest

Default bottles /sterilisers

Hello everyone,

Im 34 weeks pregnant now and not too long until I see my bub. I would just like to ask about bottles and steriliser. Im planning to breastfeed and need to know if I need to these things. Can anyone recommend the best brand. They said Avent is a bit hard and Dr Brown is really good. Really not sure which one to buy. Thanks heaps for your help.

Yvette

Hi Yvette!

I think it's a good idea to have these things as back up...

I went back to work fairly quickly after my first and although my work was flexible and I breastfed for 18 months, I did need bottles so that hubby could feed the bub (with expressed milk) while I was gone.

I used both Nuk and Avent, had no problems.

I can also recommend the Avent steam steriliser (the plug-in one that you sit on your benchtop). Much easier than fussing around with boiling or with microwave ones, although it'll set you back around $90 or so if I remember correctly?

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Jo

Hi Yvette,
    I use the Avent bottles.. and I have one of those snazzy microwave sterilisers and its GREAT!! very convienient and does what its meant to... by sterilising them perfectly.

I breastfeed for 3months and 1 week but he has now been on the bottle for 4 weeks and its going GREAT He took to the avent bottles really well.

Each to thier own they say

Good luck and cheers to a happy and healthy remaider of your pregnancy!
    xox

Yvette,

I only b/fed for 8 weeks with my first & then used the Pur bottles, as they were self-sterilising in the microwave & I didn't need anything extra to go with them. But this time around I am going to b/feed for much, much longer (I really hope) & express when I can or need to & have got the Avent ISIS breast pump, Avent microwave steriliser & the Avent bottles. The only reason I didn't get the plug in steriliser is because I have a monkey named Jessica who scales the door knobs of the kitchen cupboards to get onto the benchtops & didn't want her getting scalded by the steriliser if it were switched on! LOL.

GL & hope you find the 'right' bottles for you!

Love Jayne xox

Hi Yvette,
    I get Tommee Tippee brand bottles, my children dont like advent.... fussy lil monkeys.
    I also am using Milton as a steriliser as you can use cold water and i dont have to worry about being burnt or my DS getting burnt.
    HTH
    Jenni

Hi there Yvette,

Just make sure you get all bottles of one particular brand so the parts are readily interchangeable. I bought two to start with and then got two more when I got home from hospital.

I don't have a microwave so I have the old fashioned Milton bucket and just sterilise with that and solution in cold water. If you have a microwave though, a microwave steam steriliser might be a good thing. They can be bought almost anywhere quite cheaply. I use steam sterilising bags when away from home and they are very handy.

Good luck!

Hi Yvette,

I breastfed for 6 months then used formula.
    I just used the cheap winne the pooh bottles from target, with the normal shaped teats and regular (narrow) width openings.

I bought a microwave steam steriliser at target too, it cost about $35 and fits 4 bottles.

If you are going to be doing both bf and ff at the same time, the midwives at your hospital should be able to advise you on which bottle teats are best (regarding sucking action. they're all different to b/f but some are better than others).

I think in general, if you want to maintain breastfeeding but are using bottles as well, the longer teats are better, and the wide neck Avent bottles were not recommended. I think Kelly (bellybelly) was at a conference a while back that talked about this.....

I've bought both nuk and tommee tippee bottles. I also bought the tommie tippee microwaver sterilizer. And I completely agree with what Emma said. They all do the same job and it is the same as with everything, that you pay for the brand name.

Hi Yvette

Unfortunately i only bf for 5 weeks but during that time i just used a saucepan of boiling water to sterilise breast pump and cheap bottles.

When first started using bottles i used Milton steriliser but it really affected my sensitive hands and i didn't like the chemical smell of the bottles afterwards so i borrowed an Avent steriliser and it was the best thing ever, so easy and quick! I used Nuk bottles to start with and only recently swapped to wide neck Tommee Tippee bottles which I have found way bettetr than the skinny tall bottles as DS seems to get less wind. I am currently using Avent teats in them though, so next bub i will buy Avent bottles (though hopefully i won't need to use them!) and a cheapie microwave steriliser.

This is my experience, every mum and bub is different but HTH. Goodluck with everything!

Hi ladies, I don't have a microwave as we aren't a big fan of them. What options do I have for steriliers? Is it just the electric version? I'm not a big fan of the Milton either. Thanks heaps

Hi there,

I have both the Avent Steam Steriliser and the Microwave one at mum's the Microwave one is so much more convenient however the steam steriliser is great as I can keep the items sterilising until I need them. I use Avent bottles and breast pump but also use pigeon bottles and teats also and they fit.

If you dont like microwave sterilisers the steam one is great or you can boil the bottles in a saucepan to steralise after washing in warm soapy water and rinsing thoroughly.

Bel