Thread: Braxton hicks???

julesy Guest

Default Braxton hicks???

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me what Braxton Hicks feel like? Sometimes I get a little crampy, but not much else to make me think they might be 'practise contractions'.

Any info would be appreciated!!

Julesy

Hi Julesy
    Braxton Hicks contractions can feel different for different women, in theory they are supposed to be non painful tightenings across the belly, but that is not always the case some women do find them to be quite uncomfortable, the difference with braxton hicks and proper contractions is that braxton hicks have no regular pattern and do not increase in intensity, we tell women who ring up thinking they are having contractions to have a warm bath, take 2 panadol if they find them uncomfortable and use a heat pack and lay down, if they try all this and the pains are still quite uncomfortable they can come in to be assessed, most of the time the pains settle and when they experience these pains next time they know what they are, some women find them more noticeable
    in subsequent pregnancies.
    I am sure the person who said that Braxton Hicks contractions were painless must of been a man who has no idea LOL
    Personally I thought they felt like someone had put a belt around my belly and they were pulling it tight, I didnt find them painful but I did notice them more with more 2nd and third pregnancy.
    I hope this has helped in some way

Mine weren't painful, but you could SEE them. LOL. My belly contorted into wierd shapes towards the end of the pg! My belly would just go rock hard, and often would be lopsided.

Last time mine were sometimes non-painful but most of the time they felt like a cramp all over my belly and my belly would go rock hard and feel really tight. This time though they are always painful. I remember last time i would often get them for 3 hours at a time and they were nearly as painful as real labour pains.

I'm glad i found this thread as i've been getting a "hard tension" around my abdomen.

At first i thought it was due to pressure from bubs pushing out. But now that i'm into my final trimester they seem to have intensified. For me they make my tummy hard and cause a tightening in my chest.

I hope these are braxton hicks....

Ann

skorpy Guest

Sure sounds like it...you get tightenings and you can feel slight ache or discomfort,and when you prod your belly it is rock hard,then it loosens and your belly feels soft again.As the pregnancy progresses they will become stronger.

julesy Guest

Thanks girls,

Yes, my belly has been getting rock hard. Particularly after sitting in the car for too long, climbing the stairs, or when I bend over (which is bad, I know...I should be squatting).

Thanks for the info!!

Julesy